Sunday, January 14, 2024

Brief Sun, Blue Skies, And White Out

7:45

7:59

8:14

It's 9:15 as I start this and Evie just came downstairs. I have been sitting here since 7:45, skipped kayaking because of heavy winds, snow, and a lake that's beginning to ice up. So far, it's been cloudy, then sunny with blue skies, then windy, with a snow-blown white out and at the moment, it's cleared up some, with mostly gray skies.

8:19

8:24

Yesterday was not much of a day until the evening when we had dinner at Linda and Ron's. It started out well with a great paddle, as the wind gods took pity on me and calmed down while I was on the lake. I paddled home in sleet but loved it. After the blog and breakfast, we gathered the trash and I was off to the Transfer Station and then Ryders Cup, as I mentioned yesterday, because we had no wifi at home but Ryder's Cup had it. So I sat there for an hour, published the blog, enjoyed some coffee, talked with a few locals, and then headed home around 11:15. 

Hungry Finches

Cardinal

When I returned home, Evie had a pot of her veggie soup simmering on the stove. I was hungry, of course, and fortunately, we still had some tuna and macaroni salad left so that was my lunch, with hard-boiled eggs and tomatoes. It was strange, eating my lunch without the TV on because we still didn't have wifi. It was a long afternoon after lunch but fortunately, I had a good book, a new Michael Connelly, so I was happy, on my couch, occasionally nodding off. I talked with my son, Tom, an avid Kansas City fan and he told me I ought to be able to watch both the Browns and Chiefs game on my phone, using 5G and a Spectrum App. I was able to download it and watched part of it on my phone while Evie listened to it in the living room, the game was narrated by Jimmy Donovan, a Cleveland legend. Around 5:00, we discovered the wifi was back but by then, the Browns were losing badly so we did not watch much of the game. 

By 5:50, we were both showered and ready to drive to Linda and Ron's, through wind and snow and idiots on the road. Fortunately, their house was nice and toasty, with drinks and appetizers. We spent the first hour mourning the loss of our good friend Joe, and two of Linda's good friends' husbands. It's been a bad week. Dinner was shrimp, spinach, and cream pasta with a salad and focaccia. For dessert, Linda made a delicious cake, topped with strawberries and cream, a good way to end the evening.  Because of the weather, we left by 9:15 and the roads were decent despite the heavy winds and blowing snow. We did not linger but went up to bed to read and sleep. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...