Thursday, January 4, 2024

A Taste Of Winter

7:30

9:13

It's 7:30 and I have been up for close to an hour. I just stepped outside to take a photo of a threatening wintry sky. We received a dusting of snow last night and it's a chilly 22º and windy so I guess that counts as winter. It's 9:25 and because it's Thursday, I skipped kayaking, fortunately, because it's blustery and rough on the lake and went to breakfast instead in Bemus at the Lake Life Cafe, just two of us, alas.

I was able to get in a good paddle yesterday before breakfast, down to Sandy Bottom and back. After the blog and breakfast, I cleaned the ice off my windshield and drove to yoga with Tara at 9:30, just four of us on an icy morning. The class was vigorous and interesting, as usual, and all four of us liked the change in each class. I resisted the temptation to get a coffee and came straight home like a good boy.

Evie was busy acting like a housewife, cleaning and organizing. I pulled the last of the chicken and biscuits out of the refrigerator, heated it up in the microwave, and watched another episode of The Wire. I finished my Dismas Hardy book and started a new series by Robert Pobi called City Of Windows. I am not taken with it yet but I have no new books on my queue so I will stick with it.

Midafternoon, Evie and I watched the final episode of the Swedish series A Nearly Normal Family. It was great to find a series we really liked although because we binged on it, it was over too quick. Around 4:45, we both showered and got dressed because we were going to Jamestown with our good friends, Linda and Ron, to dinner and a movie at the Reg Lenna. They picked us up at 5:30 and we ate dinner at a vegetarian restaurant called the Labyrinth Press, one of our favorites because it has a beer and wine bar above it, closed unfortunately last night. We were able to order beers in the coffee shop along with our meals. Evie had Korean fries, topped with eggs and I had a delicious ramen so we were happy. We were able to to walk to the theater although the sidewalks were a bit icy. We have been wanting to see this film, The Holdovers, and all four of us loved it. In fact, Evie and I want to see it again. It's set in a boarding school during Christmas break. A couple of students have nowhere to go and stay with a history teacher, played by Paul Giamatti, at the school. It's funny, sad, and emotional with two great performances by Giamatti and the young actor who plays the student left behind. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...