Saturday, May 27, 2023

Another Cloudless, Blue Sky Morning

6:30

8:32

I woke to the sun literally blinding me, as I opened the curtains. It's 6:47 on a Memorial Day Weekend and the lake is still quiet, not a boat. I better get out there quick on 47º morning. It's just 7:00 as I finish this first draft and am anxious to get out on the lake as I notice at least one boat fishing. It's now 8:36, the gals are still sleeping and I went for a good hour kayaking, photographed a couple of herons, then came in, put on my bathing suit, jumped in the dingy, paddled out beyond our dock and dropped three more buoys in the water to keep boaters away from cutting in front of our dock. It's a glorious morning, still sunny with blue skies and the wind is starting to pick up. 

Kayak Morning

A Fierce-Looking Osprey

Yesterday was another busy but good day, mostly getting the house and yard ready for my sister Ellen's arrival. If it weren't for guests, I wonder if we would ever get things done.  Just kidding...Evie's always getting things done. Anyways, I got in an hour paddle, then finished the blog and had breakfast and was ready to do whatever Evie needed. While Evie worked upstairs, I got a few things done outside but I can't remember what they were. O, yea, going through the attic and garage to see if there was anything to be thrown out since our neighbors were having a dumpster, as they are throwing out much of the detritus from 50 years of great summers,  Once that was done, I got Evie to help me and we took down our porch curtain, and put it away for the summer. We also pulled up the curtain on our front porch and what a difference it makes. It opens up our view on both porches. We then took everything off both porches, then swept and vacuumed both and they needed it because of Evie's dahlias, which spent much of the past few weeks on the porch, protected from a sudden frost. That took most if all of the morning. In between tasks, Evie also began prepping dinner, a pork tenderloin which she marinated and later sauteed.

By 12:30, I was ready for lunch so I heated up the leftover ham and potatoes and was happy, watching the Celtics defeat Miami on Thursday night. We had most things done, the bedrooms ready, and the house dusted and vacuumed by 2:00 so that Evie could then cut the lawn. While she did that, I pulled out our iron circular table, stored it behind the garage, and washed it down along with five chairs, then dragged them out to our front yard in case it's warm enough to eat outside, Maybe Monday. 

Dinner With Ellen

Ellen arrived at 4:00 and we were ready to relax on our spik-n-span front porch, with a lemonade and catch up on Ellen's grandchildren, Anna and Luke, the center of her attention because they live so close, lucky gal. We talked and enjoyed a glass of wine until 6:45 when Evie finished up the dinner, heating up the pork medallions in mushroom gravy, roasting rosemary potatoes, and making a salad. Dinner was perfect, just what we wanted, and later, as we were sitting in the living room, as the day waned, Evie made strawberry shortcake for dessert. Ellen was tired by 10:00 and so were we so we went up to bed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...