Sunday, May 28, 2023

A Bit Of Morning Haze

6:09

6:08

8:25

It's 6;30, a hazy morning on the lake and I just saw the first fishing boat cruise over to the reeds. It's 50º and should get up into the mid-70s in the afternoon. This Memorial Day Weekend's weather is the best that I can remember. It's just 9:00 as we finish this and everyone is up enjoying the morning. I paddled for over an hour to Tom's Point and back and it was enough for me. 

Kayak Morning

Tom's Point

Stow To Bemus Bridge

So what did we do on Saturday? Not a lot because most of what we needed done was finished by Friday afternoon, We wanted to be able to have a leisurely Memorial Day Weekend. I was up early, at 6:00, on the lake by 7:00 for an hour of quiet paddling, no fishing boats that early. When I returned, the girls were still sleeping so I jumped in my dingy and dropped the last three buoys in the water off of our dock. Around 8:45, as Evie was getting up, she received a text from our good friends, Barb and Mike, saying they would be stopping by with glazed donuts from Georges, in Twinsburg, Ohio. We had not seen them since last August at their son Ian's wedding in Traverse, Michigan, so it was fun to see them again. They stayed for an hour and filled us in on all the news from Hudson. It was fun to see them again. 

Mallards Enjoying The Quiet Of Our Front Yard

It was Saturday, of course, so around 10:00, we gathered the trash and I was off to the Transfer Station. I then stopped in Lakewood for gas for my boat, then at the car wash to fill up the propane tank for my grill. I ended the trip a Wegmans, picking up a few things for Evie. I was home by 11:00 and the lake was still quiet and calm, so I took the cover off, gathered Evie and Ellen and we went for our first boat ride of the year, over to Bemus, along the shoreline and home. It was perfect timing because other boaters were just starting to hit the water and mid-afternoon, I counted over 20 boats cruising the lake in front of Long Point, as busy a Memorial Day as I can remember.

First Cruise Of 2023

We didn't have lunch until 1:30 because of our cruising and I finished up the scalloped potatoes and ham, then read and napped briefly, keeping my routine. Ellen and Evie did some work in the garden, then relaxed on the porch or yard and read. Midafternoon, Evie fried up some eggplant for dinner and then we relaxed with a glass of wine on the porch. Mid-afternoon, we were excited because our neighbor for the past 43 years,  Joyce, was coming back to the lake for a few days. She looks great and we sat around catching up on her and her husband Bill's life in Sewickley, PA, where they moved a year ago. 

Around 6;30, while Evie finished up prepping our dinner, eggplant, bacon, and tomato sandwiches, Ellen planted zinnias in pots on the side of our house. We then sat on the porch, drinking wine, having fun making a list of things in modern culture that pisses us off, like the NYTimes charging us extra for The Athletic and Cooking. We then had dinner, easy but delicious, especially the bacon all three of us had seconds. Our side dish was Cape Cod potato chips, compliments of Costco. We settled in the TV room around 7:45 and watched a film called She Said on Hulu, about two New York Times female reporters' search to make public Harvey Weinsteins history of sexual harassment. It was decent but a bit too long. And that was it for the night.


Joyce And Bill, neighbors and friends





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...