Thursday, June 17, 2021

Fog And 43º

6:09

7:10

7:40

7:40

It's  6:45 and I can hardly see beyond the end of our dock because of the heavy fog. I am sitting here, wrapped in a blanket to keep warm, listening to a Bill Simmons podcast. I hoped to kayak this morning but now, at 7:15, the fog is heavier than ever. 

Wednesday was another cool June day, too windy to boat but perfect for mowing the yard.  I did get in a short paddle before breakfast.  We spent most of the morning getting things done, either inside or out. I did some trimming of our Bradford pear and lilac while Evie worked some in her garden and watered it with lake water.  It takes a while to water the garden and trees and bushes. Once things were done in our yard, I powered up the mower and cut our neighbor's yard, getting it ready for their arrival late afternoon.  I also did some more cutting of weeds in the lake and we have made progress.  

Evie took time out to make lunch, a couple of ears of fresh corn and tuna and macaroni salad which she made for our neighbor's dinner.  It was a great lunch and I watched Kevin Durant go for 49 points in a win over Milwaukee, an amazing performance. I finished Squeeze and started a new book by a British writer I had never heard of, Beautiful Animals by Lawrence Osborne.  It's set on the Greek Island of Hydra and follows two daughters, one British, the other American, bored with their families, looking for adventure. While I was reading Evie was out in the yard mowing, then relaxing in the side yard, away from the wind.

Our neighbor of 40 years and her son arrived at 6:00, and we had their house ready as Evie had opened it up and we had moved out some of their lawn furniture. It was great to see them, our summer friends since 1981 when we bought our cottage. We helped unpack their car, briefly caught up on their lives before heading home for dinner around 7:15. 

We had enough hamburger stroganoff leftover from Tuesday night, so all Evie had to do was make a salad and we had dinner.  We watched Colbert and two episodes of The Handmaid's Tale and June is finally back in Canada, reunited with her husband and child.  I have a feeling it's not going to be and 'they lived happily ever after.'


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...