Sunday, June 13, 2021

A Dead Calm Morning

6:50

It's 9:00 and I have been out for almost an hour and a half, over to Long Point, back to Wells Bay, and along Woodlawn and home.  Not a whisper of wind, the lake like glass and surprisingly, few boats out this morning.  As I was paddling, a heron swooped down just 20 feet from me, grabbed a fish, and flew to the shore to enjoy its breakfast. 

Kayak Morning

A Hungry Heron

Yesterday was make a dent in Evie's to-do list day and we did get lots of things done. It began with a good paddle, of course, then we decided on giving the front porch a deep clean.  I washed out the canvas curtain first, then moved all the furniture off of the porch and vacuumed it with a shop vac. I also cleaned all the walls for spiders and webs before Evie got out the bucket and threw water on it.  We then gathered the trash and I went off to the Transfer Station while Evie then scrubbed the porch with another bucket of water. We then let it dry until early afternoon.  Evie made me a couple of sandwiches for lunch and I watched more basketball and read some, even napped.  

Evie meanwhile seldom relaxed, always finding something to do, something to wash or clean whereas everything looks fine to me. We both dawdled the rest of the afternoon, Evie in her garden and I cut down some low-hanging maple branches.  Just as Evie was about to go out on the dock, we noticed our umbrella was hanging funny so I walked out to check on it and realized one of the spokes had snapped because of the wind gusts. I don't know if it can be fixed so we will have to get a new one, our third in a few years. 

Once the porch was put back together we were excited to have a Manhattan and appetizers on it and we sat there for a good hour and a half, enjoying our work, the view from our porch, a deep blue lake, puffy clouds, and low hanging maples, framing our vista.  We are so fortunate.  We had a salad for dinner with small pieces of sea trout that Evie had roasted earlier in the day.  It's my favorite way to enjoy salmon and sea trout in this case. We watched the usual and another episode of The Handmaid's Tale.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...