Saturday, June 19, 2021

A Hazy, Almost Summer Morning

6:09

I just returned from an uneventful paddle, across to Long Point, back to Victoria, and home. The wind picked up as I returned and it was tough going. No luck with any waterfowl, just turkey vultures, hanging out in the trees.  

Kayak Morning

Choppy Seas

Friday it was supposed to rain and it did but hardly enough to wet the ground.  We had our usual morning although Evie was up early.  We cleaned up the kitchen from the previous night's dinner, then drove off to Jamestown, to Acme Appliance.  I broke down and agreed with Evie that we needed a dishwasher as I was getting too old. We knew what we wanted, a Bosch, and they had five in stock, so we ordered one, received a slight discount, and it will be installed this coming Friday.  What am I going to do after dinner each night if I don't have dishes to wash?  After that, we drove to Lakewood.  I dropped Evie off at Wegman's and I hit Evans Liquor for some wine, vermouth, and Black Velvet.  It's amazing how fast these bottles go.  I then picked up Evie at Wegmans and we were home by 12:30, but tired from all that shopping and spending money.

Black Locust Path At Long Point State Park

Lunch was the leftover sub and macaroni salad and I watched the end of the Atlanta/Philly game, a great comeback by Atlanta. And that was it for the early afternoon, as Evie, having been up since 6:00, actually dozed some and read most of the afternoon on the porch.  Around 4;00, however, I wanted to get some exercise so I drove over to Bemus and rode my bike for forty-five minutes, returning home in time to shower and be ready to go out to dinner with our friends, Marjorie and Ken, at 5:20. 

Foot High Onion Rings...Worth The Drive

We had a 35-minute drive to our restaurant, Cockaigne,  a ski and summer resort in Cherry Creek.  We had not been to their new restaurant before so it was an adventure. The lodge is quite impressive, with windows overlooking the ski hill.  We got seats in the bar and after waiting ten minutes for a waitress, we had great service.  We ordered their foot-high stack of onion rings for an appetizer (it was to die for) and all four of us had their humongous fish fry. We liked the restaurant, the food, the waitress, and the drive through the hills of Chautauqua County so it was a good choice.  We returned home around 8:30 in time to watch some TV before bed. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...