Friday, May 21, 2021

It's Friday, Alas


6:05



It's our last day on the beach and, surprisingly, it will be cooler than yesterday, in the mid-70s.  In fact, I just finished walking the beach and was glad I had on my fleece because of the strong breeze.  It is a beautiful morning, with a cloudless sky, the sun hanging off to the north, like a big orange fruit. A funny thing happened when I was out walking the beach at sunrise.  I take a couple of chairs down when I go and sit enjoy the morning sunrise after my walk.  Well, on my way back, I saw this woman next to our chairs, doing something and thought she was going to sit on them.  When I got to the chairs, a printed note attached to the chairs alerted me to the danger of leaving chairs on the beach overnight and that it was against the rules of the beach. I then left for coffee at Surf City and doughnuts at Fractured Prunes, returning home at about 8:15.  I looked out at the beach and our chairs had been moved back closer to our house, obviously by this officious beach guard of a woman. I had to laugh as I bit into a nice cinnamon and glazed doughnut, still warm from the shop.  It's 8:50, the blog is written, Drew's out for a walk and the gals are still sleeping, unaware of the doughnuts waiting for them. 

Hand-Dipped

Yesterday, Thursday was the perfect beach day, with temperatures in the high 70's with little wind.  We took advantage of it getting down to the beach by 10:30 and not leaving until 4:30,  The day, however, began as usual, with me up early, photographing the sunrise, writing the blog, and driving to Surf City for coffee and to watch the surfers.  Drew was the only one up when I returned so we waited for the gals so that the blog could be done.

Mister Tom

What A Beach

Evie and I were the first on the beach and we went for a nice walk.  It was surprisingly warm before noon because there was little if any breeze.  I had enough after forty-five minutes and went swimming and boogie boarding although the waves were crappy. By 12:30, Drew, Jill, and Hayden were on the beach while the girls were still virtual learning, so to speak. By 1:00, I had enough sun so I came in, made a salami sandwich, read, and took a nap before rejoining the group, all six around 2:00.

A Happy Miss Evie


Body Surfing, Sort Of

We spent the rest of the afternoon, sunbathing, going for walks, reading, people watching, drinking beer, and swimming or boogie boarding. What else do you do at the beach? By 4:30, we have enough and came up and showered.  Jill and Drew drove off to the fish market to pick up our dinner, tuna for a poke appetizer, and scallops for a risotto. 

Kitchen Help?

While Evie began the risotto, Jill sliced the tuna and I made a sauce of wasabi and soy for dipping.  It was the first time in a while that we had sashimi, raw tuna with soy and wasabi, reminding both of us of our days in Honolulu when we could get to a Korean Bar for Happy Hour and sashimi was a free appetizer.  No more!

Family Fun 

It took close to forty-five minutes to make the risotto, with sauteed scallops and spinach but it was worth it.  Fortunately, the girls were happy with leftovers from last night, so we had the risotto and scallops to ourselves.  After dinner, it was so pleasant that we went out for a walk with the dogs until dark and ending the evening with a rousting Telefunky game, with Jill and Drew the winners.  By the way, I have to mention how nice it has been to spend a week without television, with little news as well. 

A Poor Winner


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...