Monday, May 17, 2021

Beach Life Is Good

Surfing Dude

Jill, Drew, And The Gang

Dawn Photos



6:27

8:48

It's 7:00 and I have been up for an hour, walked the beach for 15 minutes as the sun rose above the clouds. Right now, only Drew and I are up, Drew on a business call, me just sitting here listening to the waves break, writing the blog, enjoying my first cup of coffee.  It looks like another crappy day at the beach, with lots of sunshine and highs in the '70s and the weekend crowds gone. I will take it.  It's 9:00 and I have walked the beach, taken photos of the sunrise, had breakfast and the ladies are still not up.  Drew and I spend our morning waiting, waiting, waiting. 

The Old Man And The Sea

Sunday was a good day, with lots of locals enjoying the beach along with us vacationers.  I was up early along with quite a few others unlike this morning when I felt as if I was the only person on the beach. We rose from our beds in phases, Drew and I, then Jill and Evie, then Halle and Mac, and finally Hayden around 11:30, a typical coed.  After breakfast and setting up our chairs and beach tarp, Jill and I decided to get our shopping over with and drove to Food Lion to pick up a few things, then stopped at the fish market for our dinner, shrimp and mussels.  

Walking The Dogs

The Girls

We were back by 11:00 and joined Drew and Evie on the beach.  It was pleasant until 1:00 when the wind picked up and it became cool enough to need a fleece or turn your back to the wind.  We stayed this way until 5:00 when once again, the wind died and we were able to enjoy cocktails.  Anyways, most of us braved the afternoon, despite the wind.  I was first to go swimming and got a couple of good waves while body surfing. And every hour or so, we would go for a short walk, getting some exercise.  I went up for lunch with the girls around 1:00, a turkey sandwich, and then took a much-needed nap because I was up at 5:30.  I went back down to the beach at 2:30 and joined Evie and Jill because the girls talked Drew into taking them to a couple of surf shops, satisfying their need to shop.


The Bissell Girls

Lounge Baby

Everyone came up around 3:30 for a break, to refresh and prep some of the dinners.  I cleaned the mussels so they were ready for an appetizer.  We went back down to enjoy the late afternoon around 5:30, with beers or wine and it was pleasant just sitting on the beach, people watching.  By 6:30, I had a pot of mussels in wine and garlic ready and we sat around the table with a baguette, enjoying the mussels.  Meanwhile, Jill was putting together our dinner, a dish similar to the mussels but with shrimp and anchovies, wine, and garlic.  The sauce was to die for and we devoured a couple of baguettes, dipping them in the sauce, enjoying it more than the shrimp.  

Dusk

We had an easy dessert, Nutty Buddies, then sat around laughing as Evie pulled up videos of our granddaughters from their summers spent at the lake. They were hilariously cute, dancing, chasing balloons, playing in the yard.  I have never seen Evie and the girls laugh so hard as they watched the videos. They were fun.  The night ended with a quick game of Telefunky and Drew and I enjoyed a heel tap of Knobs Hill bourbon on the deck.  Evie and I were in bed by 10:15 and have no idea when the girls went to bed.  We will be able to tell by how late they get up. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...