Saturday, July 15, 2023

Sunny, Breezy, Clear Skies

7:43

It's 7:20  on a breezy morning, the wind chimes singing, the flag flying. It's 65º at the moment but will get up into the 80s later in the day, alas. It's 7:30, time to get ready for kayaking. It's after 9:00 and I was out for just about an hour, shooting photos of an osprey and heron, probably the same two each morning. 

Kayak Morning

Osprey

Heron

Yesterday did not seem like a Friday but that's not unusual when you are retired because you lose track of the days because it's always the weekend. I got in a good paddle, as always, finished the blog, went for a walk around Woodlawn, and I enjoyed my breakfast. Evie wanted me to do some edging of her garden so I worked at that for about an hour, working up quite a sweat. I had this thought of another wok dish we loved called Szechwan eggplant but we needed eggplant. The solution was, of course, to go to Wegman's which I did, and pick up other things we needed for the weekend. It was a busy store but I fortunately found a quick checkout line. 

I was home by noon and Evie was out mowing the lawn, taking her time because she wanted to mow it twice. By the time she was done, she had walked or mowed six miles and the yard looked amazing. I had the leftover stir fry for lunch and watched my show. I am enjoying my Dennis Lehane novel although it's one of the more brutal and violent books I have read. I tried to nap, got in maybe a half hour but it was not invigorating.

By 2:30, it was too hot out to do anything so we both did a few things inside but mostly relaxed until wine time and then we relaxed again, the benefit of retirement I guess. Around 6:30, we fired up the wok, fried the eggplant slices, then the ground pork, adding hot bean sauce, garlic, and ginger, the sauce made up of soy, sugar, salt, and chicken stock, topping it off with green onions.  We served it over rice and it was just what I wanted. although a little heavy on the hot bean sauce. And we are still working our way through The Americans. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...