Sunday, July 16, 2023

Overnight Rain

Gooseneck In Bloom

7:11

9:08

Well, it's later than usual for me, 7:40, and I have been up since 7:00, having slept in some. It's overcast, gray clouds abound and screens are still wet from last night's rain. Not much of a breeze at the moment, on a 65ยบ morning. At the moment, it looks like rain but the weather app says it won't. I guess I will assume it's right and go for a paddle. It's now, 9:15, Evie is still sleeping, and I was out kayaking for 50 minutes, down to Sandy Bottom, across to Long Point, and home. As I mentioned above, it rained some last night. When I checked the rain gauge, I was shocked to see we got three inches and I slept through it. Amazing. 

Kayak Morning

 North

Herbie, My Heron

Same Guy

Taking Off

Yesterday was another hot, sticky day so we didn't get much done, in fact, we closed all the windows by 10:00, attempting to keep the house cool. I kayaked for close to 50 minutes, always a good way to start the day, after a cup of coffee of course. I was in no hurry to drive to the Transfer Station so we did a few things but mostly enjoyed the leisure of a Saturday morning. By 11:00, however, the car was packed with trash and I was on my way to the Transfer Station, always busy this time of year because of weekenders. Unfortunately, I had to go to Wegmans again to pick up a couple of prescriptions that had run out which was really the only thing we needed. I was tempted to stop for coffee but went straight home.

Evie's Dahlias Starting To Bloom


Lunch was a cheese sandwich, made with mayo instead of butter and the last of the corn chowder. Clearly, we love leftovers, even if it's three or four days old which drives our grandchildren crazy. If something is a day old, they won't eat it let alone two or three days. We tried, then, to do something outside, like working in the garden or weeding, but it was just too humid and hot. I was able to take a nap, having gotten up too early so I felt better and I finally finished my book, Darkness, Take My Hand, and started a new Don Winslow, City of Dreams.  By 5:30, we were enjoying guacamole on the front porch along with a nice white wine, Matua, our new favorite. We were hoping it would rain then but the storm went north of us, alas. For dinner, we both thought of making stir-fried rice. So we pulled out our new wok for the third night in a row, sauteed mushrooms, garlic, onions, tomatoes, added soy, then the rice and a couple of eggs, and we had a delicious fried rice as we watched The Americans. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...