Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Briefly Fog Bound On A July 5th Morning



5:41

6:25

6:25

6:54

7:13

7:32

It's 6:37 and I have been up for over an hour. I woke to an overcast morning but at the moment, the fog is so heavy I cannot see beyond our dock so I won't be out kayaking for a while. It's 66ยบ, and should get up into the high 80s. Our son, Tom, and his family arrive late afternoon to begin a week of family fun. We can't wait. It's now 9:10 and what a morning of changing skies, sunny, then foggy, then hazy, then sunny. I had a good paddle because I was able to shoot a couple of herons as well as mallards. 

Kayak Morning

Heron On A Branch

Up Close

Mallard And Babies

Another Great Blue

Mallard

I was looking forward to a nice, leisurely Fourth of July but Evie had other ideas. So after a long paddle, she outlined what she wanted me to do. I have to admit to being cranky for much of the morning, deep cleaning the front porch, then washing down all our outdoor chairs and picnic table, working up a nice sweat once the sun came out. Evie was busy as well, so I cannot complain about the working conditions; the boss worked just as hard as me if not harder. To be honest, I knew what needed to be done but that still did not make me happy, just cranky. By lunchtime, we were mostly done with our chores. 

So Evie made me a wrap for lunch and I munched on a bag of Fritos and watched my show. Evie decided, however, to shop on the fourth rather than wait for today, which was smart because the stores were not very busy. She came home with a car groaning with stuff, much of which we probably won't eat or use or just eat half of it, like cereal. That's my theory anyways but Evie wants to be prepared. 

By the time we had everything put away, we had less than an hour before we were to be heading to the Viking Club for chicken dinners. So we both showered and met Ron and Linda at 4:20 at the club. We had to sit outside in the sun because the club was so busy. We ordered our beers, then just before 5:00, we picked up our dinners, a half of barbecued chicken, macaroni salad, potato salad, and beans all for fifteen bucks. It was a cheap and easy Fourth of July for the four of us, We stayed until 7:00 and headed home, already tired from the beers and dinner. We ended up sitting in our neighbor Joyce's front yard for an hour, talking and enjoying the early evening as it cooled off.  We watched some TV and then some fireworks, as the traditional lighting of the flares around the lake took place at 10:00. We were tired by then and went to bed soon after. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...