Saturday, January 14, 2023

Seems Like Winter

Bald Eagle On The Ice

8:50

Well, it's 17º out, the lake is frozen in front of our house and we have an inch or two more of snow than yesterday so, yep, it seems like winter. Interestingly, if I look north from our house, the lake is open, just frozen south, in front of our home and beyond.

Kinney's Run

Snow Covered Bush

Trees In Winter

Yesterday I tried to kayak but the wind was too much so I was out for ten minutes. It was probably my last paddle for a while. After the blog and breakfast, I decided to get in some exercise, so I went for a walk in our woods. For most of the walk, I was protected from the wind but once I was in the open, walking north it was bitterly cold. Still, nothing clears the mind like nature, the quiet of the woods. The rest of the morning we got a few things done in the kitchen. I sliced up the leftover ham and Evie vacuumed packed it for meals later in the month. Evie also simmered the ham bone with veggies to make a stock for navy bean soup.  

Snow Covered Trunks

Victoria Creek

Woodlawn

By noon we both were ready to relax. I had the leftover cheesy broccoli on potatoes for lunch and it was yummy. We have vowed to make it more often. I watched my show, then relaxed on the couch, taking a nap, reading, or doing nothing. While I was napping, Evie was taking photos of a couple of bald eagles, diving down into the ice floes, looking for food. Mid-afternoon, for some reason we decided to watch the first episode of the series, ER. We have watched it before, maybe a couple of times, but it still remains one of the best series ever on TV. It was the first episode so it was at least an hour and a half or longer. We may continue with it.

Eagle


Eagle Over Ice

By 5:30, we were enjoying a Manhattan and cheese and crackers, as the sky darkened, the lake a mass of ice floes, and was beginning to freeze. We listened to music and enjoyed the solitude of a wintry night on the lake. Dinner was easy, the leftover potato/leek casserole with ham. We watched another episode of ER, then our old stand-by, Colbert and Jeopardy before going up to bed to read and sleep. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...