Tuesday, January 10, 2023

More Of The Same

8:40

This morning reminds me of the last three or four mornings, with a gray lake and sky, a light wind, and 29º. From what I can tell, sitting in my living room at 7:35, the lake is open so I will be able to kayak although there might be a thin layer of ice along the shoreline. It's 8:40 and I was able to get in a half-hour paddle before I drive off to yoga. The lake was calm, like a mirror, although I did have to paddle through a thin layer of ice along the shoreline. Once I was ten yards out, I was fine, no ice.

Mergansers

A Raft Of Mergansers

Kayak Morning 

Frozen Reeds 

Yesterday was in the low 30s, decent enough for a morning paddle. And after breakfast and the blog and once we got organized, we drove off to walk a couple of miles at the Chautauqua Institution. The ice had melted so it was safe to walk all the streets and as always, we remarked at how energizing it is to be outside and breathe the cold air. We are fortunate to have such a great place to walk during three seasons. 

Show Covered Thunder Bridge

CI's Bestor Plaza

When we returned home, I had the last of Evie's veggie soup with a cheesy naan and watched my Iceland series. It should end soon as most of the bad guys have been caught. There is, however, a second season so trouble lies ahead.  Evie decided to check out the gyms and do some shopping and was pleased to find that Silver Sneakers is covered by our health plan so she can go to the YMCA free. Last year she had to pay twenty bucks a month. While she was gone, I made a big pot of kuru fasulye, using my daughter Beth's recipe. It's basically a cannelloni bean stew with pancetta, tomatoes, tomato paste, onion, garlic, cumin and Turkish pepper to taste. It's best if it sits in the refrigerator overnight so it will be tonight's dinner over rice, a healthy, cheap dinner.

Dusk, The Golden Hour

Evie was home at 3:30 and was greeted by tree trimmers, cutting tree limbs, within ten feet of electric lines. Fortunately, they did not do much damage to our pines. I relaxed in the kitchen with a glass of wine as Evie prepped dinner  Coho salmon, marinated in maple syrup, miso, soy, and vinegar, roasted, along with rice and a salad. We finally finished our series, Slow Horses, which we would recommend on HBO Max. And we watched another Hometown and a couple of Jeopardy's before bed. It was a good day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...