Sunday, January 29, 2023

Drizzle And Gray

9:21

It's 8:55 and I have been up since 7:30, on a miserable morning, 35º, drizzle, with gray sky and lake. We planned on a walk this morning but because of the weather, we may have to postpone it. Who wants to walk in the winter rain. 

Yesterday was a typical Saturday and I find myself saying 'typical' quite often lately as things don't seem to change much in the winter. I was up early, surprised by some sunshine which, eventually, gave way to an overcast sky. After breakfast and the blog, we gathered the trash, cleaned out the refrigerator, and was off to get rid of trash at the Transfer Station. 

Webb's Trail

When I got home, I wanted to get in a hike. Unfortunately, Evie has been getting dizzy the last couple of mornings so I had to hike alone. I drove to Chautauqua, then worried it would be icy so I ended up hiking a snowy Webb's Trail again. I walked for forty-five minutes, passing a couple of gals on fat tire bikes and two other hikers, out to enjoy the morning in the woods. I stopped in Mayville to pick up a prescription and Topps for spinach but ended up picking up two good-looking porterhouse steaks for our dinner. 

Fat Tire Biker Gals

Lunch was the leftover half of the sub from Wegman's and Evie's vegetable soup. While I was gone, Evie cut the back from a roasting chicken, spatchcocked it, and made a good stock for our dinner tonight, roasted chicken and vegetables. Once I finished my lunch and show, I watched a few minutes of basketball but preferred reading my book, then napping. I woke from a deliciously sound sleep to a phone call, a problem if you have an Apple watch as it vibrates when I get a call. Once I was awake, I read some, then got bored and asked Evie if she wanted to watch another ER before wine time. By 5:30, Evie had the porterhouse steaks prepped, mushrooms sauteed, potatoes baking and salad made so we could relax with a glass of wine. 

We were enjoying our steaks, mushrooms, and salads by 6:30. We started a series, I Hate Suzy but soon realized we had watched the first 15 minutes and did not like it. So we watched a film on Hulu called Happening, suggested by Evie. It's based on Nobel Prize-winning French writer, Annie Ernaux's autobiographical novel about her experience. If you want to be depressed for an hour and a half, watch this realistic and moving film. It's about a young woman in France in the 1950s who gets pregnant and wants an abortion. In France, at that time it was illegal, and getting one or helping someone get one could lead to jail. What she has to go through, the angst she feels, the fear, and the lack of sympathy, makes for a tough film to watch. Once it was over, we were happy to get back to something less serious.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...