Saturday, October 1, 2022

A Gray, Kayak Morning

Friday Night With Pat, Dave, And Darren

7:26

It's 6:50 as I start this and it's just beginning to get light although it's cloudy, chilly 54º, and drizzling. I just checked at 7:05 and it's not raining yet. I suppose it's waiting for me to kayak. Well, I got in a 50-minute paddle, spending at least 15 minutes of it chatting with fellow kayakers, Tina and Jim. It was a gray paddle, with light winds and I did not see any interesting wildlife.

Kayak Morning

More Clouds, More Gray

Yesterday was a good day for me because I got many things done which had been on my mind that I knew I had to get done this fall. The day did not begin well because of the heavy fog which stayed with us until 10:00 in the morning. I had already written the blog and had breakfast but I went for a half-hour paddle because it was such a beautiful morning, with a dazzling blue sky off to the north. 

Heron

Kayaking Friday Morning

Finally, Blue Skies

I then got busy with things that don't mean much to anyone but me. First, I bailed out my rowboat and rowed out and pulled seven buoys out of the water, all attached to cement blocks. I then removed the ropes and chains, leaving the blocks out by the privets for next year, and took the buoys, covered with algae back to the house, and filled a wheelbarrow with water and bleach.  I let them marinate in the mixture for fifteen minutes, then scrubbed them with a brush, getting most of the algae off and returning their color to white. I let them dry and they are ready to store for the winter. 

Next, I pulled the sump pump out of the lake, undid it from the hose, then pulled the hoses, four of them, out from behind the privets. They reach from the lake to Evie's garden and beyond and are perfect for watering. I then drained them, gathered them into a circle, and used a tie to secure them. Another small fall project is done. Finally, I took the cover off my boat and started the motor and bilge to get the water out of the boat. And because the gas gauge on my boat is not working, I drove to Hogan's and picked up five gallons of gas and siphoned it into my boat. It should be more than enough to take it out of the lake later next week before we head to Virginia. My assumption is I have a quarter to half a tank of gas but I cannot be sure.  Once all these small things were done, I was ready to relax and have lunch. While I was busy much of the morning, Evie put applesauce in containers to freeze. Big deal. 

Lunch was the leftover chicken, potatoes, and quinoa/rice mixture from previous dinners. I watched another episode of Game Of Thrones. After my busy morning, I have to admit I relaxed the rest of the afternoon, happy with my morning. I read, napped, and read some more or joined Evie in the TV room to watch the Weather Channel's continuing coverage of Hurricane Ian. 

By 6:00, we were both showered and walked over to our neighbor's house for dinner. Pat and Dave and their son Darren are originally from Houston but have just purchased a house in South Carolina. Because it's being renovated, they will be spending the fall and part of the winter at the lake for the first time. When we walked onto their porch, Olive, their rambunctious Westie , who loves Evie, greeted her with kisses and dog hugs. She's a hoot. 

Evie And Best Friend, Ollie

We sat on the porch enjoying a glass of wine and appetizers as the day began to wane. Dinner was one of Pat's and our favorites, ham balls, with a glaze, macaroni and cheese, green beans, and a salad. We loved our dinner and sat around the table, enjoying our dessert and talking until 9:30 when we headed home.  It was a fun night and we hope to have many more since they will be staying here rather than heading home to Houston. 

Dining Out With Neighbors


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...