Sunday, October 23, 2022

The Cry Of A Loon

Duck Hunters At Tom's Point

7:50

9:28

It's 7:15 and I have been here enjoying my first cup of coffee, taking photos of the morning sky when I heard the cry of a loon, always mournful. I walked out to see if I could see him but he must have flown off. They always seem to be alone, rarely if ever in pairs.  Perhaps that is the reason for the cry. It's 9:35 and I am just finishing this because I was out for an hour and a half. It was so spectacular on the lake that I didn't want to come in. I was shocked literally out of my boat by multiple gunshots. Later, I took a photograph of a hunter and his son, and the boat that I am sure filled the sky with gunshots.  I also captured a couple of herons, scared off a couple, and saw an eagle fly by. All in all, it was quite a morning paddle. I mellowed out listening to Harry Styles, yes, I like him ever since my granddaughter Marlena and her Mom flew to Chicago to see him in person last week. 

Kayak Morning

Empty Duck Boat

Victoria/Woodlawn

North

Through The Reeds

Heron In Brown

Still Hanging Out

Yesterday was another classic autumn day, with moderate temperatures, and lots of sun, perfect for a bike ride. So after my chores, a long paddle, gathering the trash, and taking it to the Transfer Station, I drove over to Bemus and road for close to an hour, my usual, down Lakeside Drive, through the park to Long Point and home. It was perfect weather, warm enough in fact that I worked up a sweat. 

Long Point Trails

The Woods

Our Neighborhood

Evie had lunch ready, tuna fish on our homemade sour cream bread, yum, and another cup of chicken noodle soup. And that was it until 4:00, as I watched some football for a few minutes, and started a new book, The Winners by Fredrik Bachman. By 4:00, Evie was washing windows, so I went out and worked some in the garden, chopping down the Jerusalem artichokes that grow around our porch and fence. Then, since Evie was washing inside, I involuntarily did the front windows outside. And I want to make a correction. Yesterday I said I finished my Elizabeth Strout novel, O, William, when I meant to say Lucy By The Sea.  William is in it but it's mostly about Lucy. I highly recommend it. 

Notice The Sun's Reflection On The Copper Tray Above Our Mantel

By 6:00 we were both showered and dressed and drove over to Bemus Point to meet Ron and Linda and their friend, Prudence, at the Seezurh House, We were lucky to get a round table in the bar and quickly ordered our beers, catching up on what both.of us have been doing. As always, it's a noisy place and the acoustics are not the best. Our dinners were tasty, three fish fries, salad for Linda, and a barbecued chicken sandwich for Evie. We left at about 8:00 and we home in time to watch some TV. We couldn't find anything we liked so we started a new series on Netflix called Kleo. It's decent, set in East Germany, just after the fall of the Berlin Wall. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...