Saturday, December 4, 2021

Surprise...Some Sunshine And Blue Skies

7:30

8:24

I was awake t 6:15 to a darkness that gradually turned to gray, to an overcast sky as predicted.  It was a chilly 32º.  I was able to kayak by 8:00 and as I paddled for forty minutes, the sky cleared up some, the sun came out and gorgeous blue skies filled the northern horizon. My paddle was only marred by occasional gunshots, duck hunters out early.  In fact, I had to turn around before paddling to Sandy Bottom because of a couple of hunters had set up a duck blind.

Kayak Morning

Paddling North



Paddling Home

Duck Hunters In The Blind

We enjoyed our Friday, mostly because we had nothing we had to do.  I had a rough paddle, cold and windy, and rough seas so I was out for only 15-20 minutes. We knew we wanted to do something so by 10:00 we had decided to go for a walk around the Chautauqua Institution because walking at Long Point would be wet and muddy.  We walked a couple of miles, missing the colors of summer and fall. We were the only ones enjoying the chilly morning other than construction workers dealing with the cold.

Thunder Bridge

By the time we returned home, it was time for lunch and fortunately, Evie remembered she had boiled a dozen eggs so she made me a couple of delicious egg salad sandwiches with tomatoes to go with her vegetable soup. Yum Yum.  Once again, I fell asleep while reading my book, And She Was, by Alison Gaylin which I really like.  For some reason, my nap energized me so I helped Evie fill the bird feeders then spent a good forty-five minutes raking the twigs and leaves from our willow tree.  It's a messy tree so I filled up two garbage pails and took them up the hill.  I have quite a bit more to rake either today or tomorrow depending on the weather.

A Raft Of Mergansers

Early afternoon, Evie seared some pork ribs, adding sauerkraut and tomatoes to them, and let them bake in the oven for a couple of hours.  We had an interesting happy hour as we both decided to take Covid 19 tests even though both of us showed no signs of Covid but we wanted to be sure after our travels.  It was easy and fast and both tests were negative. Dinner was the pork and sauerkraut with mashed potatoes, and we had what is fast becoming our favorite meal, fall off the bone pork, sauerkraut, and tomatoes with mashed potatoes.  A Double Yum. And best of all, I realized that J. K. Rowlings Cormoran Strike mysteries are now on HBOMax.  We watched the first three episodes of Lethal White and liked it enough to stick with it for three hours.  We ended the night with Jeopardy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...