Thursday, December 30, 2021

A Gray And Foggy Morning

7:37

9:47

A Morning Jogger On Long Point

It's 7:30 as I start this blog and the darkness is just beginning to ebb.  I have been up for over an hour, listening to a Bill Simmons podcast and skimming the NYTimes and Washington Post. The podcast extolled the virtues of NFL's John Madden, a legendary football coach, and announcer, whom I said hello to one morning in Carmel, CA in 1995 as he was buying a newspaper. It's now 9:50 and I just returned from a paddle on a calm, gray, foggy lake after having breakfast in Bemus.  It was exciting to be able to get out on the lake this morning despite the chill and light fog. 

Kayak Morning

Woodlawn

Long Point Peninsula

Mallards On A Foggy Morning

Yesterday was a long day, boring in fact, as we did not have much to do nor did we want to do much.  I had a doctor's appointment at 11:00 to get my stitches out so after a great morning paddle, I left early to stop at Wegman's to pick up a prescription and a few veggies.  I then stopped at Runnings to get shoelaces for my twenty-year-old hiking boots and ended up buying another shirt. I then waited for a half-hour before the five minutes it took to remove my stitches. I then stopped at Evans Liquor and picked up a bottle of Averna Amaro, a liqueur, highly recommended by my son-in-law Drew for the making of a Black Manhattan.  It better be good because it was tres expensive.

Loneliness

While I was gone, Evie made another pot of soup, this time it was chard, Italian sausage and lentils.  I had a bowl for lunch to go with a veggie wrap so I was a happy boy watching my show.  The rest of the afternoon was a waste for both of us as we lacked the mojo to go for a walk or get something done.  And I made the mistake of starting an NYTimes bestseller, The Last Thing He Told Me. It's a page turnner and I literally spent the afternoon on the couch reading it, taking time out to only to make some Turkish tea. lt's been awhile since a book so thoroughly took over my life. 

Thankfully, we did not have to fuss with dinner, as we had both beans and potato soup and Slovenian sausages leftover for our dinner. We watched our usual, some Jeopardy, then started a new series on Netflix based on the best selling novel Anxious People.  I read the novel so I knew what was happening but it was fun to see on the novel translated to film. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...