Friday, December 31, 2021

O What A Beautiful Morning On The Lake

7:39


It's just before 8:00 and I am looking at a placid lake, not ripple, just reflections of the shoreline and out in the middle, hundreds of seagulls, either floating or circling the gang. It's after 10:00 as I finish because of an hour paddle, down to Magnolia and the McMansions and back.  What a great morning to be on the lake and best of all, I not only heard a loon's call but was able to get a photo. 

Kayak Morning

An Amazing Sky/Lake

A Rare Cormorant Sighting

Finally, A Loon

Thursday morning reminds me of this morning, as nothing has changed: it's all gray.  I did get in a breakfast in Bemus and we were the only two in the Lake Life Cafe.  I brought Evie home a freshly baked blueberry scone and she loved it. Points for me.  I then went kayaking for forty-five minutes as the drizzle had stopped and the lake was similar to this morning, not a ripple.

After kayaking, we finished up the blog later than usual, after 10:00.  Evie wanted to do things around the house so I drove to Tom's Point, two miles away and spent forty minutes walking out to the tip and back.  Earlier,  when kayaking, I noticed duck hunters at the point and two beer cans, evidence of their hunting, were scattered on the point. The path out to the point always has holes, made by some burrowing animal so it's dangerous if you step in them.  I always find large sticks and place them in the holes so I avoid stepping in them the next time I hike. It felt good, as always, to be out in a park, alone, enjoying the quiet and view of the lake and fields. 

Entrance To Tom's Point

Trail Through Scrub

Bridge Over Chautauqua Lake

Lunch was the last of the beans and potato soup and a cheese sandwich and another episode of Foyles War. The rest of the afternoon was taken up with finishing my book The Last Thing He Told Me which I loved, easy to read, and a page-turner to the end. We were having Asian for dinner and the worst part is the prep so Evie got it ready by 3:30, chopping up everything from carrots, to mushrooms, to cabbage, etc., and ginger and garlic.

We relaxed with a glass of wine as the gray sky turned dark, then went to the kitchen to begin our wok dinner.  I am the chef, usually, and everything seemed to go well until I added what we thought was the corn starch at the end to thicken things.  For some reason, it didn't and then Evie discovered she had mixed baking soda for the slurry instead of cornstarch, alas.  We quickly tried to remedy it but our dinner turned out to be tasty but somewhat soupy.  Live and learn.  We watched a film from Spain called Sunday's Illness, a typical European film, slow-moving, heavy, sad, overly symbolic but we liked it enough to stick with it to the shocking ending.  After that downer, we were happy to finish the amusing and fun Anxious People on Netflix as well, to round out our evening of viewing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...