Saturday, December 11, 2021

A Wet, Warm Morning

8:17

9:21

It's almost 9:00 as I start this on a wet morning.  It rained much of the night and the snow has melted so the lawn is no longer snow-covered but winter green. When I woke and looked out at the rain, I had no interest in kayaking despite the warm 56º, however, by 9:45 it stopped raining so I went out on the lake for a half hour and watched a couple of crows harass a hawk.

Kayak Morning

Woodlawn



Crows

Hawk

Friday turned out to be a nice day, with the sun coming out in the afternoon. The morning was overcast as it's been for the last few days but it was fine for a paddle. So after breakfast and the blog and some organizing (what else do we do?), Evie left for a follow-up eye appointment and then a haircut with Jaret in Lakewood. So I was home alone, with nothing I had to do so I decided to get in some exercise and since the car was gone, I went for another walk in the woods for the fourth day in a row.  It was a soggy walk as the snow was beginning to melt but still invigorating to be out in the woods. Fortunately, I did not put on more than two layers because it was in the '40s, great for walking if you are dressed appropriately. 

Beginning To Melt

11:46 AM

I returned to a quiet house and started a new novel, Crossroads by Jonathan Franzen.  For lunch, I made some Pho and peanut butter and jelly sandwich on toast. Not as good of lunch if Evie had been here but still decent. I watched another episode of Foyle's War and am still enjoying it, set in Great Britain during WW II. The stories mostly involve locals, figuring out some way to take advantage of the war to make a few bucks. I then read some, took a nap and waited for Evie to return.  She was back by 2:30 and we did little the rest of the afternoon despite the fact that the sun had come out, the lake turned blue and boats were out fishing, people walking out to the tip of Long Point.

Early Afternoon Blue Skies

We decided to have a Manhattan happy hour, with lots of goodies, chips, cheese and crackers and hummus and veggies for something healthy. Earlier Evie bought a hoagie at Wegman's, worrying that we might lose our electricity Friday night although the forecast changed with winds arriving Saturday at noon  So we split one for our dinner after filling up on chips and we also had some soup which Evie had made from the leftover chicken bones.  We watched another episode of The Great British Baking Show but this time it was the New Year's Show.  We also watched Colbert and Jeopardy before bed.  I tired of Crossroads and decided to start another book, For Your Own Good, about a teacher in a private school.  I like it, of course. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...