Saturday, February 25, 2023

Brrrrrrr!

7:07

It's 7:30 and I have been up for over an hour, checking out the lake to see if I can kayak. Unfortunately, much of it has a thin layer of ice so I don't think I would be able to navigate between the frozen areas but I may try. It is a chilly 19º with a 5/7 mile-an-hour wind from the SE. And according to my weather App, it's snowing but it's not, just overcast skies. It's just after 9:00 as I finish this, and I did get out for a 20-minute paddle, into a bitter, cold, snowy southeastern wind before heading back, breaking through the thin ice to get my kayak both in and out. 

Kayak Morning

Paddling North

Well, we are now proud owners of a 2023 Kia Sportage Plug-in Hybrid SUV. After a good morning on the lake, breakfast and the blog, we were off to the dealer to get our car at 10:30. It's amazing how much paperwork goes into buying a car, with lots of signatures, license, insurance, etc, letting alone being tutored for a good half hour on the all the bells and whistles in the car. It seems to have everything imaginable so there's going to be some a learning curve. The only thing that bothered me was the attempt to get us to buy an extended warranty on our car. Instead of letting us know the cost before we bought the car and giving us time to think about it, he just added it on o the price, thinking we would buy it. Well, it was suddenly an extra four grand added to the price. After some dickering, he came down a thousand but I was not ready to buy to his dismay. 

Jungle Green

So that was just a little extra added angst on what should have been a nice easy closing. I know this is how they make their money but I don't like having it dropped on us just as we were ready to write the check. I also read on the Internet that if you have two cars, for liability purposes, each car should be a different name. So Evie is now the proud owner of a new car and as such, she got to drive it home while I muddled home in our now-old Subaru Outback. Now we have a big decision to make, to build a garage or not, that is the question. 

Stormy Friday Afternoon

We were home just before 1:00 and I heated up the leftover curry and rice for lunch and watched my show Lethal White on HBOMax. As I watch, I realize that I have viewed it before but hardly remember it so I will stick with it, the benefit of an aging memory. The rest of the afternoon we stayed in because it was a cold windy miserable day outside, we white caps on the lake. While I napped, Evie worked out for a half hour on her new rebounder and she's loving it with her music and AirPods


Dinner At The Viking Club

We were picking our neighbors, Pat and Dave up at 6:00 so we both showered late afternoon. The Viking Club was busy but we were fortunate to find a table in the crowded bar, next to the fireplace, keeping us nice and warm. It was like an old home day because Linda and Ron were there with friends, and another couple, good friends, Dawn and Doug came in. They stopped at our table to talk and realized that both of them and our neighbors, Pat and Dave, grew up in Warren, PA at about the same time, quite a coincidence. The six of us vowed to get together in the next month and bring Warren High School yearbooks. Everyone seemed to enjoy their dinners. I had the special Country Fried Steak with gravy and mashed potatoes and Evie had the fish fry. Along with a couple of beers, we had a good night at the Viking, staying until 8:45. When we got home we watched TV for an hour, then were ready for bed. It was an interesting day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...