Sunday, May 15, 2022

Boats In, Summer Ready

A Garden Well Tended

6:16

8:56

It's 6:53 and I have been up since 6:15 in a sun-filled living room. The lake is an immense sheet of glass, not a ripple and the honking of the geese breaks the silence. I cannot believe more boats are not out on this perfect morning although my two kayak friends are just paddling by. It's 59º and should get up to the lower 70s later in the day. Ir's after 9:00 and I have been out for an hour, paddling down to Whitney Bay and back, with a good fifteen minute stop for a coffee klatch with Tina and Jim, and our neighbor Tracie, at the end of her dock.

Kayaking Morning

A Good Lake  Morning

Yesterday began with a sad paddle. I was out early, enjoying being on the lake, and never took my camera out of the pocket of my fleece because of the absence of birds. When I stepped out of my kayak, I reached in the pocket only to realize the fleece pocket had been hanging over the side of the kayak in the water, drenching and ruining my camera. I was not a happy boy. I have been tempted to get a new camera over the past few months but thought I would wait. Well, now I don't have to wait.

A Couple Of Oldies But Goodies Go Cruising

About 10:00, after the blog and breakfast, Chris called and said our boat was ready, could I meet him a the Prendergast launch. Evie drove me down there, a five-minute drive, dropped me off and Chris met me with the boat. He backed it in the lake and I jumped in, started up the motor, backed it out into the lake, and cruised back to our dock. I picked up Evie and we went on a glorious forty-five-minute ride over to Bemus, along Lakeside Drive, and home. The sky was filled with puffy clouds, so artsy that Evie could not help but take photos. 

Lakeside Drive

When we got back, I tied up the boat, making sure the lines and poles were correct.  I then gathered all the trash from having cleaned up the garage and dove off to the Transfer Station and dropped it off, separating the plastic from the metal and glass like a good boy. It would be easier to just throw them into a plastic bag but most people follow the rules. 

Threatening Afternoon Clouds

Evie made a pot of cheesy broccoli soup for lunch so along with crackers, I had a tasty lunch and watched the last quarter of an NBA playoff game. For some reason, I was wiped out and couldn't wait to get to the couch and finish my Don Winslowe novel, City On Fire, about the conflict between Italian and Irish mafias in Providence, RI. Of course, I also got in my nap and woke more energetic but not ready to do much other than put things away in the garage while Evie cut the lawn. As she was mowing, it started to cloud up so I grabbed the other mower, started cutting and we finished just as it was starting to drizzle perfect timing. 

A Late Afternoon View From Our Porch

Osprey With A Walleye

We both took showers the relaxed for a good hour on the front porch with cheese and a libation. It was an extraordinary late afternoon, so perfect that hardly a boat cruised the lake, nor noise filled the air. We felt so fortunate to be sitting on our porch, enjoying the view, the quiet, and the changing sky. 

Yum

We decided on an easy dinner, BLT's on good old 1950s soft white bread and it was yummy, just like Mom used to make, only she bought Wonder Bread.  We watched Real Time With Bill Maher before going up to bed.  What a good day(except for my camera), cruised the lake,  boat's docked, lawn cut and loved happy hour, and BLT's. 


1 comment:

  1. beautiful photo of the clouds, perfect day

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...