Tuesday, May 10, 2022

A Day Well Spent


Enjoying The Grape Jelly

5:52

6:12

8:10

It's 6:21 and I have been up since 5:40, waiting for the sun to rise at 6:10. It looks like another fine spring day, with clear skies, and light winds and the temperature is inching up into the 70s today, maybe the 80s by Thursday, as a result of the heatwave from the Mid West. It's just after 8:10 as I return from an hour paddle, a good one, spotting an eagle, heron, and martins exploring our gourds. It's nice to see they are back. 

Kayak Morning At Long Point

Same Bald Eagle, Same Tree

Great Blue Heron At Sandy Bottom

Turkey Vultures Lurking

Purple Martins Are Back

For some reason, we got a lot done on Monday even though neither one of us had much mojo. I kayaked for over an hour it was so nice out on the lake, literally the only boat out there. After breakfast and the blog, I drove to Mayville to register my boat trailer, something I should do every year but don't. I am also supposed to get it checked at a garage which I have never done. It travels perhaps ten miles, once in the spring, once in the fall so I usually ignore the registration/check. After spending thirty bucks for my registration, I stopped at Tops to pick up a few things for the week. I was home by 10:30 and Evie had a few things she wanted me to do. So we worked outside, weeding and getting the watering system from the lake set up so that she could water the garden, even the newly planted Jerusalem artichokes on the other side of our road. It took five hoses to reach them. We are probably one of the few that use lake water for their gardens and bushes. 

Lunch was the leftover pork and sauerkraut and Evie drove into Jamestown for a dentist appointment for a simple filling. I watched The Sopranos and started my new book by Laura Dave, Eight Hundred Grapes, the third novel I have read by her. They are a nice change from my usual thrillers.  Evie was home by 2:00 and worked in her garden, weeding, and just about finishing it, so it's ready for the dahlias in a couple of weeks. I tackled my garage, taking everything out, even clearing all the shelves and throwing away years of junk that I never have used. This is something I do a couple of times a summer and it always feels good to look at it once I am done, knowing, however, it will be a mess in a couple of weeks. I finished my afternoon by watering the sections of our front yard where we reseeded and it took maybe 15 minutes, using lake water from my sump pump.

We then sat out on the dock for the first time this spring with a libation and enjoyed the late afternoon sun and light breeze until it was time for Evie to make dinner, spaghetti with a pasta sauce of mushrooms and Italian sausage.  We were ready to eat by 6:30, started an Italian film called The Great Beauty which we stopped after 15 minutes, then tried Not Fade Way, about teenagers starting a rock band in the 1960s which we also did not like and stopped. We ended the night with the first two episodes of Better Call Saul which we also found boring. So it was not the best of nights for TV. We are getting persnickety in our golden years.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...