Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Winter Returns

Road To Woodlawn


7:27

The morning is just beginning to lighten at 7:00 on a chilly 26º dawn.  I have been up for an hour, listening to Sirius radio, drinking my coffee, wondering what the day will bring.  Nothing is scheduled so it's wide open for a good hike somewhere, perhaps cross country skiing if the snow is not too wet.

Loving Winter

Well, yesterday we finally got the snow predicted, close to ten inches I would think.  I know that I went out and shoveled three different times during the day to keep up with it.  We were both excited by the return of a white winter,  We had our typical morning of coffee and writing the blog before deciding where we were going for a hike.  Since Evie had an appointment with a podiatrist at 2:30, we decided to stick close to home and drove over to Bemus.  



We knew a hike through Long Point would be spectacular because of the heavy, wet snow. We were not disappointed as it seemed every available branch and bush was frosted with snow.  This is the best of winter when everything is white, no melt or grime, and a virgin path through the woods.  We walked for an hour and never met another skier or hiker.  On our way, we noticed a few fishing shanties were out on the lake, halfway down Lakeside drive, their trucks parked along the road. brave souls because the ice cannot be too thick yet.  


We were home by noon and Evie had the great idea to pull some waffles she had made a couple of weeks ago out of the freezer and warm them up, with syrup, for my lunch, a nice change from the usual.  I devoured them while watching Deadwood, yep I am still on Season Two.  I then finished my book The Dry by Australian writer Jane Harper and I would recommend it.  I then started a much-recommended book called A Good Neighborhood by Therese Anne Fowler, predictable but I probably will stick with it.  It feels like a young adult novel.  I  fell asleep briefly before Evie woke me to get ready to drive to Jamestown for her appointment.  Her appointment went well and she really likes her doctor so it was worth the effort to go,  We stopped at Wegman's on the way home, picked up a few things for the week, and were home by 4:00.  While Evie put things away, I shoveled the driveway for the third time.

Around 5:00, Evie prepped out dinner, a marinade for salmon, garlic spinach and rice then joined me in the living room as we listened to the news. By 6:30, we were both hungry so Evie baked the salmon and finished up the garlic spinach.  We enjoyed our dinner while watching more of the news, then a couple episodes of a Showtime series we had started a week ago called Your Honor, with Brian Cranston.  It's a bit cheesy and predictable but we will keep watching.  We ended the night with Jeopardy, with Ken Jennings as the host.  He's quite good as a temporary replacement.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...