Thursday, January 28, 2021

14º...Too Cold To Fish?

7:53

8:48

It's the coldest morning of the year so far, 14º, and some blue sky has just appeared.  I spy only two ice fishermen out this morning at 7:00, a surprise because cold does not usually discourage them.  We got an inch or two of snow overnight, just enough to cover the gray, icy areas of the lake and the walk to our house. 




Yesterday began with my slipping on the icy driveway and falling on my duff as I went to get my newspaper.  Not the way I wanted to start my day.  Fortunately, only my ego is sore.  It was a busy morning on the lake for fishermen, out early to catch that walleye.  I am not tempted.  Evie had an appointment with the dentist for a cleaning at 1:00 so we wanted to get in some exercise before she left. We decided to try Webb's Trail, hoping we would not run into a horde of snowmobilers.  We were lucky in that we saw none, only the tractor which was grooming the trails.  I started out with another fall, as my ski caught on a groove, my first of the year.  Embarrassing but I was not alone.  We ran into another skier, a guy we have met a couple of times on a hike, and he had blood dripping from his nose, a result of a fall. Fortunately, the rest of the hour of skiing and snowshoeing was uneventful, as we both enjoyed our trek, the beauty of winter woods.




We were home by 11:30 and Evie got busy in the kitchen, making the dough for almond cookies and letting it sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours,  She left for the dentist in Jamestown at 12:30 and I had lunch, vegetable soup, and an avocado and tomato sandwiches on toasted homemade bread.  I watched a couple of episodes of Shooter, mostly because I did not feel like reading or doing anything. 

Evie did not get home until 3:00, having stopped at Wegman's for a few things after the dentist.  She then got busy in the kitchen because we were having Linda and Ron over for dinner tonight, Thursday.  She had numerous things going on, along with prepping our Indian dinner of chicken with a curry sauce and broccoli.  While she was prepping, the almond cookies were baking in the oven,  I helped occasionally with the clean-up as needed and it was often needed as Evie is a multitasker extraordinaire. 

By 6:00, she was able to relax as the rice was cooking, her prepping for two dinners was done.  The chicken tikka marsala was flavorful, at its best with lots of yogurt on top. We watched the final episode of Tiger on HBO, about his fall and attempt at redemption.  Golf had never seen anything like Tiger's reign for close to ten years, making his dramatic fall all the more shocking.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...