Saturday, January 30, 2021

A Cold, White Saturday

Westside Overland Trail

7:31

Saturday Morning Ice Fishing

I have awakened each of the last three mornings to an inch or two of snow.  It's a pleasant way to wake despite the cold 16º morning.  The ice fishermen are out as it's the weekend.  No wind yet so it should be a perfect day for us to cross country ski on the lake.  As I walked out on our front porch to take a photograph of the morning sky, I heard the roar of a snowmobile off in the distance, on the lake for the first time.  Let's hope the lake is thick enough.

Road To Village Of Panama And Hiking Destination

Friday we were able to take another jaunt in the woods. I was up early, listening to podcasts, having my coffee, and writing the blog, waiting for Evie to get up.  By the time she gets up, I have been thinking about what to have for dinner, where to hike or ski.  We did up the dishes from the previous night's dinner then put on our layers for snowshoeing.  We drove ten miles to the Village of Panama where we accessed the Westside Overland Trail.  We have hiked all 26 miles of it in various stages and have hiked this section numerous times.  It was tough for me on my skies because of the ups and downs but for Evie, on snowshoes, it was perfect.  I had enough after 50 minutes, having worked up quite a sweat. We loved being outside, protected from the wind by the trees, and were never cold.  

Snowshoeing Among The Pines

In The Woods

We did not get home until afternoon, time for lunch.  I had forgotten about the leftover chicken tikka masala from Wednesday night so I had a filling lunch, lots of chicken, rice, and yogurt.  I watched another episode of Shooter, bad TV but I keep watching it,  I then started a new book, The Children's Bible, and napped but Evie, as usual, was busy in the kitchen making, this time, an apple pie for Friday night's dessert.  

Evie's Apple Pie

We knew dinner would be easy because we were having the leftover chicken satay and rice from Thursday night.  Around 4:00, as the pie came out of the oven, filling the kitchen with its deliciousness, I went outside, donned my skis, and went out on the lake to see what it was like to ski.  

Skiing On The Lake At 4:30 PM

It was great except for the fact I skied with the wind to start, forgetting that it would be tough going into it on the way back to our house, I put on a mask to make it less bitter on the way home.

Tree On Our Porch

We decided to partake of good cheese, Boursin, with our glass of wine, and enjoy the increasing light in the late afternoon, early evening. Dinner was delicious despite being left overs,  but we could not wait to have the pie.  I had mine with ice cream and we were both happy.  We watched the news, a Colbert, and Midnight Dinner before going to bed.  I have started a new book, A Children's Bible, a finalist for the National Book Award.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...