Tuesday, January 5, 2021

The Worst Of Winter

The Bell Tower At The Chautauqua Institution

7:40

A dreary morning here on the lake, as the snow has melted, the dirt and mud remain.  The lake's calm the sky mimicking the lake, a dirty gray.  It's 31º and the lake looks as if there's a thin layer of ice on part of the lake. I will find out for sure when I kayak. Well, I was able to get out for forty-five minutes, paddling down to Wells Bay but on the way back, I had to break through a thin layer of ice, listening to the crunch of ice.  

Kayak Morning

Victoria/Woodlawn

Fishing Early Morning

Yesterday we were in the doldrums early because of the Chautauqua weather, gray on gray, the snow disappearing.  After the blog and getting a few things done, we cheered up because we decided to go for a walk at the Chautauqua Institution, assuming, rightly the roads were free of ice.  It was like walking in a black and white photo, as the world seemed colorless.  Still, we enjoyed it, walking for an hour and a half, over three miles by the time we finished.  We were virtually the only ones there, at least walking, which was nice, with no worry about wearing a mask. 

Bell Tower

Icy Thunder Bridge

Chautauqua Institution

Lunch was easy, the leftover pork and sauerkraut and I finally finished my series, the second season the Dutch thriller, Undercover, which I liked obviously as I watched both seasons,  The rest of the afternoon for me way my typical, reading, napping, and more reading.  Evie, however, made up a pot of leek and potato soup and put together a butternut squash and caramelized onion galette for dinner.  

Galette

Once the galette was in the oven, we enjoyed a glass of wine before pulling the galette out, serving it with a salad and a bowl of soup, a healthy and different dinner.  We watched a couple of more episodes of Schitt's Creek, then watched My Octopus Teacher, the recommendation of our friends,  Linda and Ron. It was an amazing documentary of the relationship between the filmmaker and the octopus as well as the octopus's brilliant use of disguise to survive.  I recommend it highly.  Unfortunately, we then turned to the idiocy and lies of our disgraced Carny In Chief.  After a half-hour, I had enough but Evie, glutton for punishment, stuck it out until 11:00.

Long Point


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...