Monday, February 10, 2020

The Big Thaw

The Majesty Of Winter
8:10
It was shocking to wake up to a 37º morning and listening to the ice melting off the roof.  When I walked out to get the paper, the snow crunched and I got a soaker in my Krocs.  Even the lake's surface is beginning to thaw as its mostly gray now, the snow gone.

One Is The Loneliest Number
Yesterday was mostly cloudy with brief glimpses of the sun and blue sky.  We always like Sunday even though they are not much different from other days for us.  We took a long time getting going, just enjoying the morning, especially me, not having to head off to yoga.  After my yogurt, homemade granola and blueberries, however, I was ready to get outside.  We both agreed the lake might not be a good idea, the lake wet underneath the snow so I thought of the Dobbins Woods trail, 15 minutes away. 

A Frosting Of The Woods
So off  I went, parked my car and skied into another winter wonderland.  It was an amazing loop, many of threes bowed over by the heavy snow so that the trail was often blocked and I had to crouch to ski under the branches, often getting hit with snow.  The beauty was everywhere but I did not get to enjoy it as much as I would have liked because my skis kept on freezing up. 

What Happens To Skis In Wet Snow
I had to stop a couple of times and scrape off the snow and ice.  It meant it was difficult to slide so that much of the way I was struggling to make a trail.  I was out for a good hour and had to throw two undershirts into the wash because of the sweat from my skiing.

Dobbin Woods 
Fortunately, after a shower, Evie had breakfast ready, fried potatoes, topped with parmesan cheese and a couple of eggs.  I felt like I deserved it after the trial of skiing in the woods.  We watched an always enjoyable and interesting CBS Sunday Morning as we ate breakfast.  Afterward, we had most of the afternoon free to relax.  Unfortunately for me, I had dropped my iPhone in the snow while trying to take a photo while skiing, so it sat for three or four hours in a bag of rice and I missed a call from Beth as a result.  What an idiot.  I then napped briefly, read some of my book before we decided we wanted to hunker down the rest of the day and not go out for dinner.  So we ordered a pizza, double pepperoni, from Coppola's in Bemus Point and I picked it up around 4:30.

After wine and the waning of the day, the vanishing of the ice fishing huts, Evie made a salad, warmed up the pizza, and I poured us a couple of Pepsis and we were happy in our TV room having saved The Oscars, to watch while fast-forwarding through commercials.  Thus, we watched a couple of more episodes of Breaking Bad, giving The Oscars a good headstart before we started watching them.  And even I was overwhelmed by the success of Parasite.  I thought it should get the best film Oscar but it also received the best director, the best screenplay. Wow.  South Koreas must be proud.  The rest of the winners were fairly predictable. For us, the highlight was the surprise performance by  Eminem's of Lose Yourself, one of our favorite rap songs.  I used to play the first minute or two of it for my students before an in-class essay to get them pumped up.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...