Saturday, February 8, 2020

Seriously Snowbound


Our Neighborhood
8:08
Adirondacks Ready For Summer
It's a beautiful morning here on the lake, snow frosting everything in sight, trees, bushes, chairs, car, yard, and lake.  A few flurries are falling at the moment after last night six to eight inches.  I am going to have to get out my tall boots for my trip to the Transfer Station later this morning.

Yesterday we woke to a snowy morning and icy roads, making me wonder if yoga was still on.  It was. After breakfast and the blog, I took my time driving to Lakewood, passing one poor woman stuck in a ditch, having slid off the road.  The roads were slushy but if you took your time and did not have to stop abruptly, you were fine.  There were only three of us in class because of the snow so we were able to make up our own morning, emphasizing what we wanted.  I stopped at Ryders for coffee and ended up talking politics for the first time with local Dave and bookstore Bob.  It was hard to tell their politics, both seemingly independent, voting both left and right at times.  We ended up talking about Vietnam because Bob is writing a book about his father's experience in Vietnam and then I found out Dave was also in Vietnam and had been imprisoned briefly before coming home.  Needless to say, it was an interesting morning at the coffee shop.  After coffee, I stopped at the bank, deposited a check, then did a quick run-through Wegman's which has finally stopped using plastic bags.  It's interesting to see how locals deal with it, some bringing in large plastic boxes for their groceries.

Woodlawn Road At Noon
When I returned home, it was later than usual, 12:30, so I had a salami sandwich with homemade soup and watched the last episode of Tin Star, thankfully although I did wonder how the second season would start because at the end, the daughter shoots her father, the sheriff.  We assume he lives, of course, because the series is about him.  To be honest, I hoped he died because he is so despicable and deserved to be shot.  I reluctantly started a new book, Evvie Drake Starts Over, a woman's book, and I almost put it down because it was so predictable that Evvie and her boarder would fall in love.  I stuck with it and found it more interesting than I thought.  There's a lesson in that somewhere. 

I napped, some, then around 3:30 decided it was too delicious to stay in the house as snowflakes filled the air.  I was put off from cross country skiing on the lake because of a report that two ice fishermen had fallen in off of Long Point so I walked up the hill on the road, then down Kinney's Run, snow hitting my face.  It was lovely in the woods, snow frosting all the trees, especially the pines whose branches were often bowed to the ground.  In fact, I heard a crash as one of the branches snapped, falling to the ground.

Late Afternoon Ice Fishing
When I got home, we relaxed with wine around 5:30 as Evie had prepped the pork chops, browned them, then put them in the oven to bake along with potatoes.  We ate around 6:30, two huge pork chops, Brussel sprouts, salad and applesauce. 

Trudging Home At Dusk
We watched a Colbert and then because the Oscars are Sunday, we decided to watch the Korean Oscar-nominated PARASITE.  I predict it will win the Oscar for best picture.  We both liked it more than 1917.  It started out as light fare, almost a comedy, as a poor family slowly works their way into working for an extremely wealthy family, as tutors, maids, and a driver.  The contrast between the two families begins to take on a more troubling aspect and becomes sinister by the end.  We see why  Bong Joon-Ho films create such a stir in Korea where the inequality gap rivals that of the US. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...