Tuesday, February 11, 2020

A Quiet Lake And Morning


8:20
Fishing Early
It's 8:20 as I start this and the one red tent on the lake is packing up and going home.  They have been out there, fishing off of the Woodlawn right away since 700.  It's 30º out and should stay around there the rest of the day though it will head down single digits by Friday.  This swing in temperature and snowfall is becoming the new normal here in Chautauqua County.

Packing Up At 8:20
Like most weekdays, things do not change much.  I was up early, wrote the blog, had breakfast and drove to a good Yin Yoga class with Danielle, back from a vacation in Puerto Rico.  After class, I stopped for coffee and chewed the fat with three locals, all three reminiscing about the good old days growing up in Lakewood or Jamestown.  It sounded idyllic, small town, lots of jobs, kids free to enjoy the outdoors, the lake. How things have changed.  I stopped at the Lakewood library before coffee, picked up a book I had on reserve, The Muse by Jessie Burton, and also picked up the new Alan Furst novel.

When I returned home, it was leftover pizza time, one of the advantages of having a pizza dinner.  I also had the last of the veggie soup and both Evie and I watched an episode of Breaking Bad, trying to decide whether to watch it in the afternoon or evening, maybe both.  I finished Evvie Drake Starts Over.  I can't believe I stuck with this romance but I did.  Evvie falls in love with a pro baseball player after suffering the yips. Predictable from the first chapter.  I was happy to start Furst's Occupation Zone, set in Paris in 1942.

I napped briefly, read some more of my new book, then we decided we wanted chicken for dinner so I drove to the Lighthouse Grocery and picked up a rotisserie chicken for dinner.  When I got home, it was just 4:00 so we could not resist the temptation to watch another Breaking Bad.  It's getting bad.
Around 5:30, we enjoyed some wine in the living room listening to the pundits from New Hampshire.

Dinner then was easy, cut up the chicken, Brussel sprouts, and microwave the mashed potatoes and we had our chicken and potato dinner.  We decided to watch another Oscar-nominated movie, Quentin Tarantino's ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD. It's set in 1969 Hollywood, a fun trip down nostalgia lane.  It made me long for the good old days.  That being said, we were bored during the first third, wondering if it would pick up.  It did as the two stars, Leonardo and Brad, became more interesting.  By the end, we were hooked, by these two, the allusions to Charles Manson, his band of crazies and a pregnant Sharon Tate.  We knew the story was moving towards a violent ending, typical Tarantino but this time, with a surprise.  We liked it but not as much as Parasite which won the Oscar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...