Sunday, February 9, 2020

Happily Snowed In


7:28
7:35
7:40
It's 8:15 and I have been up for two hours, watching a couple of lights trod out on the ice at 6:30, as the sky lightens, the fishing shacks appear, even some color off to the South.  We have a good foot or more of snow, the trees frosted, the pines drooping, the trails groomed.

Yesterday was a good day to stay snuggled up in a warm house and enjoy the beauty of the snowfall in the last two days.  It took a while for us to get moving, to finish the blog and gather the trash.  I spent a good ten minutes cleaning off the car and shoveling the driveway, the snow surprisingly light and fluffy.  Inadvertently, I must have shoveled our paper into a drift and have been unable to find it.  I drove to the not very busy Transfer Station, the guys sitting in their trucks keeping warm rather than helping with the trash.  I don't blame them.  I was home by 11:00, warmed up for a good half hour then decided to cross country ski at Long Point. 

Long Point State Park
It was a good choice as the woods were literally a cathedral of snow.  Some of the trails were difficult because I was the first to ski in the foot deep snow.  Others, were somewhat groomed by other skiers, snowshoeing or snowmobiles.  I stayed in the park, skiing a circle and was out for forty-five minutes, having worked up a good sweat. I was shocked on my drive along Lakeside Drive at the cars and trucks, forty or fifty of them, parked alongside the road.  They were all ice fishermen and they had created a village of huts out on the lake, about halfway up Lakeside Drive.  I have never seen so many trucks and never along Lakeside Drive.  There is no public access so they must have walked out through private land.

Cathedral Of Drooping Pines
When I returned home, Evie had my lunch ready, leftover moussaka and homemade soup, both tasty and warming after my skiing.  I watched some more of Tin Star, alas, and may stick with it because I have nothing else to watch.  After lunch, I napped and read then joined Evie and we decided to waste the rest of the afternoon by rewatching Breaking Bad.  We stopped after episode two, the crazy bathtub scene.

Frosted Trees Of Victoria
We had our wine around 5:30 and Evie had earlier pulled some of her homemade meatballs out of the freezer, so she added them to a tomato sauce and let both simmer until it was time for dinner.  With a salad, a glass of wine and spaghetti and meatballs, we were happy to be home on a Saturday night. We watched Bill Maher, cringed at a couple of his crude jokes but laughed quite a bit as he interviewed the evil genius, Steve Bannon, creator of the Donald.  We ended the night with Colbert and another episode of Breaking Bad.  It's amazing how much we have forgotten about the series.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...