Friday, April 12, 2019

Windy, Overcast, No Rain


6:52

6:53

7:57
It's 8:10 and I have been up since 6:40 a bit behind on writing my blog because I have been reading a long essay called 'They Had It Coming' from The Atlantic, about the college admissions scandal.  It's eye-opening and I urge anyone interested in this topic to read it.  It's windy, a strange southeasterly wind bringing on a choppy lake. 

7:37
Yesterday was windy and cool, not the kind of day that made you want to get outside and go.  So we didn't, just kept to our routine.  For me, a yoga class at 10:00, where I was sprinkled with rose water, had China Gel rubbed on my shoulders, back, and feet.  Then, straight up to a house already set up for our dinner Thursday night with our neighbors, David and Pat.  Evie obviously had been very busy, the moussaka was ready to bake, the house clean.  All I had to do was vacuum the living room and we were ready.  I had an easy lunch, the leftover Cuban from the Viking Club and a bowl of Evie's soup.  Around 1:00, she drove to the Y and stopped at Wegman's to pick up a few things.  I am reading a new Don Winslow novel but this one is not about the drug trade but an aging surfer dude in San Diego.  I like it. 

Evie was back by 3:00 and we did a few more things to get ready for dinner but mostly we took it easy and I spent quite a bit of time in front of the TV watching the Masters, the only golf tournament I tend to watch.  David and Pat arrived at 6:30.  They have had a tough week because when they arrived on Sunday to open up their home, they found a foot of water in their basement, a result of a faulty pump.  It was taken care of the next day but it's not exactly what you want to have waiting for you when you have been away for months. 

Greek Night With Neighbors
We had an enjoyable cocktail hour, with Trader Joe's 'unexpected cheddar', our favorite for now.  We talked a lot about the Bushes, George and Barbara because David heads the Bush Library in College Station, TX, and was quite involved in the funeral last fall.  What a contrast between former President Bush and the current impostor.  Dinner was great, perhaps the best moussaka Evie's made and dessert was perfect, a lemon pudding cake with raspberries.  We also enjoyed a couple bottles of wine, one from Bulgaria which got Evie and I talking about our drives through Bulgaria back in the 1970s, our camping on the Black Sea beaches, with the campground filled with Russian campers.  They left about 9:30 and we did a quick clean up before enjoying some downtime in the TV room before bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...