Wednesday, April 17, 2019

A Hazy Spring Morning (Dock In)



Juvenile Bald Eagle Looking West

and East
6:31
6:32

6:45
I was up again at 6:00, to a pink and gray sky, the sound of a boat motor and the song of a distant loon.  Slowly, my morning photographs are beginning to change as the docks go in.  Ours was launched yesterday late afternoon, as early as it has ever been.  For now, only two docks are in the Woodlawn/Victoria neighborhoods and two martin houses are up.  Mine will go up in the next couple of days as the purple martin scouts tend to arrive sometime around the 15th of April although with the changes in weather patterns recently, they seem to come much later.  There were times when I would put up my house and martins would be circling it, waiting to claim an apartment.  I had an amazing paddle this morning, paddling within 20 feet of a juvenile bald eagle.  He was sitting on the Long Point fishing dock and I have never seen either an eagle or hawk perched on a dock.  Usually, they are up in the trees.  Stunning as was this morning's sunrise. 

6:53

7:20
Yesterday began with frost on the car windows but it did not discourage me from kayaking and getting some good photographs of the wood ducks, with its striking colors.  It was another wet and overcast day, keeping us inside but not the dock guys.  I decided to go to yoga since a walk was not very inviting and left just after 9:00.  The class was just the right size, six of us and I enjoyed it.  Since I stopped for coffee on Monday, I skipped it yesterday and came straight home, no need to do any shopping. 

Male Wood Duck

Wood Ducks

Female Wood Duck
Evie was busy in the kitchen, making up a cheesy broccoli soup for our lunches, and pork, tomatoes, and sauerkraut for our dinner if we stayed home.  If not, we would have it on Wednesday as it is always better sitting in the refrigerator for a day. I had soup and bagel with avocado, tomato, and hot sauce and watched my mafia series set in Montreal.  It's getting better.  Evie wanted to get in a walk so after making up a new song list, she left for Lakewood just as I finished my lunch.  My afternoon does not change much, reading, napping, and more reading especially when the weather is bad.  Evie was home around 3:30, having stopped at Wegman's to pick up a few things.

Putting In The Dock With The Guys
We decided around 4:00 we would go out for dinner but just as Evie was going to take a shower, the dock guys showed up so we decided to have dinner at home in case they needed our help with anything.  It could not have been pleasant putting in the dock in a light rain, and 40ยบ temperatures but they did not complain and got in done by 7:00.  I walked out on it this morning and it's solid and straight.  We had our dinner just as the boys were finishing.  The pork was a bit dry unfortunately but it was still good, with the sauerkraut and mashed potatoes.  We started a new series on Amazon Prime, Manhunt, recommended by my sister Ellen, and we liked it, watching two episodes.  We ended the evening with Colbert and Vice News. 

"Gizmo" At Sunrise

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...