Sunday, May 27, 2018

A Busy Morning On The Lake


5:53
It's 8:20 and I have been up since 5:45, on a partly cloudy morning, a pleasant 64º, and we received some rain overnight, about a half inch, so the garden and lawn look freshly washed.  We are having friends over for dinner tonight and my sister and her husband will be spending the night so we are going to have a busy but fun day. 

Kayak Morning
I took a long paddle, over an hour and ran in our neighbor Jeff as well as a couple, Tina and Jim, who seem to be out kayaking early most weekends when they are up here at the lake.  A number of fishing boats were out with me by 7:00 and by the time I returned at 8:00, our neighbor's sons, Jeff and Steve, were out water skiing. 

Early Morning Paddlers
Yesterday was mostly sunny until late in the afternoon when it clouded up and we had spits of rain off and on into the evening.  The day started, like most days lately for me, with a paddle.  When I walked into the house, Evie was getting things ready to start prepping for tonight's dinner as she likes to get most things made the day before.  First, however, we got the trash ready so I could go off to the Transfer Station.   I then drove into Lakewood, for a mega shopping trip, stopping first a Sav A Lot to pick up some things, then a quick self-car wash, before I waded into the very busy Wegman's, as carts filled the aisles, with people shopping for the Memorial Day Weekend.  I should know better than to shop the day or two before a holiday but I guess I just was not thinking.  I did, however, have little trouble navigating the aisles, got what I needed without much wandering around, I picked a good, quick aisle for my getaway. 

Hungry Heron
I was home by 1:00 and Evie had already made dessert for tonight's dinner.  It took us awhile to unpack the groceries, lots of staples.  I rewarded myself, reluctantly, with a Singapore noodles dish and egg rolls from Wegmans for lunch.  It was better than Chun King chop suey but not by much.  I watched some of the Cavs game, read, and fell asleep briefly.  By 3:00, Evie had finished cooking for the day, so she was out on the dock and I joined her.  It was sunny and warm, the lake buzzing with boats and seadoos, not the quiet empty lake we have been used to.   By 4:00, the wind picked up, the air became cool, so we decided to head in.  We got a few things done but inside and in the yard and by 5:30, we were back out on the dock, enjoying a beer, as the clouds lifted and the lake air was filled with the sounds of speedboats and seadoos. 

Flamingo Float Envy (not really)
Mallard Protecting His Mate
Dinner was a couple of burgers, fried in the house to perfection I might add by Evie and that was it along with chips for a good Saturday night meal.  And according to Sam Sifton of the New York Times, the best burgers are grilled inside on a fry pan.  We tend to agree.  We started to watch a new film on Netflix called IBIZA but soon realized it was the same coarse and vulgar comedies, popular with today's youth, not old timers like us.  So we put on the tried and true, Stephen Colbert and were happy until we had enough TV and went up to bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...