Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Hallelujah...We Went Cross Country Skiing On The Lake.!


Happy Cross Country Skiers

7:42
I was up at my usual, 6:00 and was surprised at the 3º temperature.  I guess it's not warming up until the weekend and we will be able to keep skiing on the lake for a few more days.  I have yet to see any fishing huts out on the lake, most likely because it's still dark. I am sure they will come.  And it's now 7:45 and I counted 17 fishing huts out in 3º weather.

Woodlawn/Victoria In The Morning
Yesterday was a big day for us, as the title suggests.  We had yet to cross-country ski this year despite the snow and cold weather.  And last year, the winter was so mild that we may have gotten out on the lake only once.  Well, yesterday, we strapped on our skis and skied down as far as Sandy Bottom and back on a partly cloudy morning.  It felt exhilarating to be out on the lake again, just the two of us, the lake a vast whiteness, the gray sky and a few fishing huts off in the distance.  And even though the temperature was in the teens, we worked up a sweat in our forty-five minute morning delight.

We felt happy and righteous when we got home.  I had finally risen from sickbay and gotten out on the lake.  It was lunchtime when we returned, so Evie made me a couple of cheese sandwiches on homemade bread and I heated up some of the leftover onion/potato soup.  Evie then took off to do some shopping at Wegman's and workout at the Y and I had my lunch and watched another episode of  Berlin Station.  After lunch, I finished up my book, MY ANTONIA, and realized the most recent Johnny Cash bio was available from the library on my Kindle, so I downloaded it and started reading it.  By evening, I was up to 1955 when his most famous song, "I Walk The Line,' made his name.  What a hardscrabble life he had early, living on his father's cotton farm.  And making it as a musician and singer in the 1950's was no picnic.  Fortunately, he convinced  Sam Phillips, the man who found Elvis, to take him on.

Evie didn't get home until 3:30, just as I was getting up from reading and taking a nap.  I felt refreshed and Evie was starting to prep our dinner, shrimp and grits, and it was still light out so I went out and cross country skied, down through the campground, back out on the lake and home.  It was an easy half hour but I like being on the lake late afternoon, a solitary figure, sliding home.  When I got back, we settled down with a glass of wine, then Evie finished up the shrimp and grits and made a salad.

We were looking forward to dinner and the fourth season of RITA, on Netflix.  Well, dinner was just what I wanted but RITA was a big disappointment, contrived, a bit silly, as the writers seem to be stretching to find their way.  We both recommend watching the first three seasons, forgetting about the fourth, alas.  I was happy to get back to Johnny Cash.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...