Sunday, January 14, 2018

Clear And Cold


8:41

8:48

8:49
It's 8:45 as I start writing this blog.  The sun is brilliant, over to the south, invading our living room for the first time in a week.  It's cold outside, in the single digits when I got up at 7:45 but now a toasty 12º.  The fishing huts are out despite the cold, perhaps because of the beauty of this morning.
Early Morning Fishing Huts
Yesterday we did not go wild despite it being the weekend.  We had an easy morning, enjoying the beauty newly fallen snow the previous night, close to eight inches, waiting for it to warm up a bit before going out to clear our parking area again.  Evie took the time to make a Turkish recipe, a semolina cake, topped with sugar syrup, like baklava.  We had made one before from a Turkish cookbook but this one was somewhat different using yogurt.  While it baked, we both went outside to clear the snow.  Once I got the car cleaned off, the path to the garage shovelled, I gathered up the trash and drove to the Transfer Station and man it was cold, I feel sorry for the workers.  When I got home, Evie, my amazing girlfriend had cleared the entire parking area, so all I had to do was pull the car into the newly shovelled space.

For me, the rest of the day was another afternoon of large leisure, no surprise as my nagging cough is still with me.  I ate the last of the chicken enchiladas for lunch, watched some basketball but quickly turned to my new afternoon lunch time series, BERLIN STATION.  I am finally getting it.  And I did some reading, as I am half way through Willa Cather's MY ANTONIA and took a nap.  Evie, however, did not rest.  Instead, she made two soups, yep, two, her old standby, a vegetable soup and a new one, a creamy cabbage and gruyere soup, topped with toasted baguettes.  And, of course, she prepped our dinner, chicken thighs  roasted on top of red potatoes.  We are also experiencing a frenzy of sparrows and finches at our bird feeder.  They are literally going through our feeders every other day as 10 to 15 are there at the feeder every time we look.

A Well Fed Sparrow
We both were looking forward to watching some football for once.  So we settled in to watch the first half of the Eagles and Falcons game.  At halftime, Evie pulled our dinner out of the oven and we decided we had enough football and binge-watched the last three episodes of A PLACE TO CALL HOME, Evie's new favorite series.  We enjoyed what we thought was the happy ending of the series only to find out on Google that a sixth season is on the way for 2018.  Yippee.  We ended the night watching Tom Brady do some of his magic, then some Stephen Colbert, to get some laughs, a good way to prepare for sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...