Thursday, January 18, 2018

A Flawless Morning Sky

7:26

7:46

7:47

7:49

7:51
Up at 6:20, pitch black, an occasional fishing headlamp heading out to the lake.  It's now 7:10 and the sky is spectacular, an orange sherbet color along the horizon, blending into the azure sky above, not a single cloud marring the blue.  Amazing morning on the lake and difficult to capture with a photograph.  It's another chilly morning, 8º and may get up to 20º later in the day.

Clouding Up At 8:54

It Takes A Village
Yesterday was another sun filled day and today looks like the third day in a row we have had clear skies, lots of sun.  And while I am talking about sunshine, I read an article yesterday that said Moscow got 6 minutes of sun in December.  And we complain about the cloudy weather during the winter here at the lake... no more. I had a busy day yesterday, the first in a month.  First, I went to yoga, my first time in a couple of weeks.  It felt good to be back and my cough was under control.  Afterwards, I hurried home because we were going to cross-country ski.  Evie was dressed and raring to go, so I put on my ski pants, got out the skis and off we went.  It was just as spectacular as the day before, the whiteness of the lake, the blue sky, almost blinding.  We skied north up past the campground until the wind became too much and we turned around and skied home.  We were both excited when we got home, to have been out on the lake again on such a great day.

On The Lake
Evie made me a couple of toasted cheese sandwiches and heated up the last of the onion/potato soup for my lunch and I watched the final episode of Season One of BERLIN STATION.  Fortunately, I have Season Two for today's lunch.  It ends with the protagonist, Daniel, getting shot but surviving.  In fact, the first episode started with this scene.  I am into this series, finally.  After our morning, we both relaxed, perhaps too much because neither of us felt like skiing again later in the day despite our intentions.  Around 4:00, however, I got fed up with sitting around and went back out and skied down to Sandy Bottom and back.  Getting ready to ski is the worst part, the layers, the ski boots, getting the skis ready but I said the heck with it and loved being out there again, late afternoon, the long shadows on the lake covering the west side of the lake, the east side still sunlit.

When I got back, we both took showers because we were going to the Viking Club for dinner.  We always enjoy Wednesday nights at the Viking because we get to see many regulars.  We were lucky to find seats at the bar, chatted up numerous acquaintances, and had a decent dinner, a spinach/bacon salad for Evie, pulled pork sandwich with coleslaw for me.  It was an interesting group because lots of snowmobilers came in, at least 15 to 20, to enjoy a beer before hitting the trails again. Randy and Karen, two regulars, who are always at the club on Wednesday, had stopped at the Stockton Inn for a beer before snowmobiling to the Viking for another.  It sounds like great fun to be on the trails at night but I would worry about drunks on the trails.  It seems as though someone in the areas dies each year from a snowmobile accident.

We left around 8:00 after the drawing for the King Of Hearts.  We wasted ten bucks on tickets but it's for a good cause, the Viking Club.  We drove home and settled on our couches around 8:15 and watched two more episodes of RITA.  We decided we were going to finish the series even if it's not up to par.  Before going up to read the biography of Johnny Cash, we watched Vice News, the end of the first busy day for me in quite awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...