Tuesday, February 20, 2024

Sunny And Cold, Again

7:25

8:43

Winter temperatures this morning were 18º when I got up but having sunny days is unusual for us. I am not complaining. The lake, interestingly, keeps thawing and then freezing. This morning, because of the cold, it's frozen again although yesterday afternoon it was partially open. I listened to a podcast by Derek Thompson who wrote an article in The Atlantic called The End Of Hanging Out. Here he argued that today, everything is a cult. He made a convincing argument for Maga and Swifties as well as politics. The Dems and Republicans have become cult-like, passionate, and insular,  not just polarized, and hate each other and cannot talk to each other as a result. Interesting. 

Long Point State Park

Yesterday, a Monday, was beautiful if you like cold weather, sun, and blue skies. I do. Again, when I woke, the lake was frozen so there was no kayaking, no big deal. We both had a leisurely morning because I did not have yoga. Evie had a couple of things to do because we were having Linda and Ron over for Sunday dinner on Monday. I wanted to get in a hike but first, Evie gave me a much-needed haircut. It's always a pain for her (she has been cutting my hair for over 50 years), so I don't blame her. The results, however, are always worth it. It makes me look younger, no longer an 80-year-old or so I think! After a shower, I dressed for my hike and drove over to the end of Lakeside Drive and walked Long Point State Park for forty-five minutes, 1.76 miles. It was basically empty except for one couple with their daughter and a dog. The trail, however, looked used as the snowy paths were rutted from bikes and hikers.

In The Distance

Snow Covered Trails

I stopped at the Bemus Point Market, under new owners, bought some chips and dip for last night's snack, and came home for lunch, soup, sardines, and crackers. I continued my viewing of The Vietnam War and right now, I am in 1967 as the troops keep building and the casualties. While I was gone, Evie finished prepping our dinner so she could relax for much of the afternoon. My afternoons don't change much these days, reading, nap, and helping Evie in the kitchen. 

Afternoon White And Blue

A Changing Lake

Linda and Ron arrived at 6:00 and we sat around the fireplace as the sky darkened, enjoying wine, pears and cheese, chips and dip, and homemade cream of mushroom soup.  Tasty.

Evie's Pastitsio

Dinner was a Greek specialty, pastitsio, along with a salad, rolls, and a good red wine, compliments of Linda. Dessert was Greek yogurt, with blueberries, raspberries, and brown sugar. As always, it was good to be together. It always finishes the week or starts the week in a good way. I am tired of using the word 'good' but cannot think of a better one. 

Monday Night Dinner


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...