Sunday, February 25, 2024

Cold, Cold, Cold, And Sunny

7:26

8:49

It's 8:23, sunny, and the lake is frozen again, to my delight. I spent too much time last night worrying about whether I should kayak when the temperature was in the teens. Well, I can't because the lake is frozen. It was 17º when I woke and now it's a toasty 22º. 

Saturday was a real winter day without snow! It was cold and windy, with some sun on and off during the day. It was too windy and cold to paddle although the lake was open. We dawdled much of the morning, enjoying our coffee, reading, listening to CNN, and finishing up the blog. Around 10:30, we started to gather the trash for my trip to the Transfer Station. When I went out to the garage, my Outback's battery was dead once again, the third or fourth time it happened even though I have a new battery. So I gathered the trash, stuck it in the back of the Kia, and drove off to the Transfer Station. 

I was home by 11:30 and because of the blue skies, I decided to get in a walk around the Woodlawn/Victoria woods. It was a good idea except when I walked north in an open area because the northern wind was brutal. It felt like a walk in the fall, with the barren trees, brown leaves on the paths, and blue skies. Although I wish there had been snow, there was still beauty to the day. When I returned, it was lunch time and I warmed up the kuru fasulye and rice and watched another episode of The Vietnam War, as two assassinations led to riots over much of the US and Johnson's announcement he would not run for President. And more American soldiers died. 

Winter Morning Walk

Mostly Blue

Our afternoons do not change much on the weekends. We watched some TV, read, and napped briefly, waiting for that magic hour when we would shower and get ready to go out for dinner. We picked up Linda and Ron at 5:30 because we were going to an Indian restaurant in Dunkirk, NY, about a forty-minute ride through back roads and #5 which follows Lake Erie. The restaurant is called Steelbound and it is situated in the Clarion Hotel, on Lake Erie. We walked in and realized not only was there a restaurant but a really neat bar, overlooking the harbor. 

Enjoying Indian Food And Craft Beers

We decided on the bar, a good choice. Steelbound besides a restaurant is a brewery, so they offered 15 to 20 choices of brews. We enjoyed tasting various brews along with a pretzel and cheese appetizer. All four of us ordered Indian food and the butter chicken was the clear winner, along with rice and garlic naan. We left around 7:45 and took our time driving home along #5 to Westfield and home. We will certainly go again, maybe in the summer when the doors and windows are open to the lake. Once we were home, we quickly changed and moved to our TV room and watched a few shows before bed. 

A Happy Man


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...