Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Spring Gardening


6:19

6:20
8:54
It's 7:00 and I was up just as the sun was rising around 6:30, the living room beginning to fill with light.  It's cooler than I expected, 44º, the lake like glass, tempting me to get out there and kayak. I was able to kayak for a good hour, across to Long Point, along its shoreline and back to Sandy Bottom and home. On the way back, I ran into our neighbors, Maryanne and John in their canoe.  I saw no interesting ducks or birds, many having migrated I suppose, but a plethora of turkey vultures on the shoreline. 

Canoeing Neighbors

Kayaking at 7:43

Kayak Morning at 8:00
Morning On Woodlawn
Yesterday was a busy day for Evie, somewhat so for me.  Neither of us was in a hurry to get up and do much, still recovering from our fun weekend in Chicago.  I decided to skip yoga although I know it would have made me feel better.  So we had a longer than usual morning coffee, interrupted for me, by a quick kayak.  Around 10:30, however, we got busy, Evie starting to work on the onerous and time-consuming task of weeding her garden, an especially difficult task because of neglect last year because of Evie's back problems.  I decided to do some work on the potholes on our road, always made worse by the winter snow plowing.  I drove off to Tri James gravel pit twice, bringing back four buckets of millings, ground up asphalt, to fill the holes and four buckets of topsoil for Evie.  Because I am shoveling the millings into buckets, a couple trips is enough for my back.

A Blooming Pieris Japonica
After I was done with my work, Evie had a list ready for me to shop at Wegman's.  So off I went about 11:30, ready to compete with all the other retirees, there to save an extra 5%.  The aisles were crowded as usual but I was able to navigate around the stalled carts and get my shopping done quickly.  I also found a short line, jumped in it and was on my way in ten minutes.  For some reason, it seemed like we had been away from the lake for a long time but it had only been four days.

Lunch was easy, make a bowl of ramen and a turkey sandwich, turn on the TV, and catch up with my series, Bosch.  While Evie continued to work in the garden, I ate and then read some, finishing my Bernie Gunther novel METROPOLIS, taking an unsatisfying and brief nap.  Around 3:30, I decided to go out and help Evie just as it started to rain, so we put away all the gardening stuff and came in the house.

Around 5:30, we relaxed with a drink and some good cheese and crackers, as the sky began to clear, the rain stopped, of course.  It felt good, normal, to be back in our living room, enjoying a late afternoon, early evening libation and looking at the lake.  Dinner was easy as Evie had pulled some chili out of the freezer.  She boiled up some noodles, added the chili and we had her version of Cincinnati chili along with a salad.  We caught up on a couple of Colberts, missed watching James on Jeopardy because it's teacher week and ended the evening with a RAKE  which didn't hold our interest, too close to bedtime methinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...