Thursday, May 23, 2019

A Sunny Not Rainy Morning


6:00

6:21
Well, as usual, the weatherman's predictions were wrong.  We have sun instead of rain, in fact, the sky has cleared up after some clouds.  I was up at 5:30, expecting a Chautauqua gray morning.  It's 6:20, with the sun in full force, the lake slightly ruffled, birds singing, the first baby swans floating by with their parents.

First Family
It's 6:30 and I finish this draft so I will be able to get in a paddle before driving to Bemus Point at 7:50 for breakfast with the guys.  I have to be back by 9:00 since Chris is dropping off my boat then and I have to drive him back to his truck.  It's 7:30 as I finish and I was able to get in a paddle over to Long Point and home.

Kayak Morning
I often have a hard time remembering what I did yesterday, most likely because it was almost a carbon copy of the day before and the days all tend to merge.  So I started the day with a paddle, drove to a yoga class and came home to a wife working outside.  Sound familiar?  Lunch was the same as the day before, the rest of the scalloped potatoes and ham and I watched another Bosch, also familiar.  I just remembered that before lunch, I worked on edging and weeding our brick garden path, a chore that usually takes a couple hours.  I got a good start on it before lunch.  

Because I was up so early, I tried to nap but was unable to get more than a cat nap, I was enjoying my book THE OTHER IMMIGRANTS, so I didn't mind not napping for long.  We both then alternated between working outside for a bit, then coming in to relax until 3:30 when just as Evie had powered up the mower to cut the grass, the rains came so both of us came in.

Our evening, however, differed from the usual as we were going out to dinner with our friends and neighbors, Ken and Marjorie, a couple from Pittsburgh who have had a cottage up here as long as us if not longer.  They are both retired teachers so we have lots in common, especially wonderful grandchildren.  Earlier Evie had made reservations for the window seat at Forte, in downtown Jamestown, one of the areas finest eateries.  

A Great Evening At Jamestown's Forte
We arrived at 6:30 and there was already a line to get in.  Fortunately, we had reservations.  We usually get the steak special, steak, salad, fries, rolls and a brew for 15 bucks but I  bucked the group and had their special, a duck burger with caramelized onions, mushrooms, and greens.  I cannot say I loved it but enjoyed it enough to not regret ordering it.  The garlic fries, however, were heavenly.  The others all ordered the steak special and enjoyed it.  We had a good time catching up on the past six months since we had not seen them since October when they closed up their cottage for the winter. 

A Local's Vanity  Plate
We were home by 9:00, excited because we both had taped last night's episode of Jeopardy.  Is anyone not watching Jeopardy each night as the winner is now up to almost two million dollars?  We ended the night with Colbert interviewing Howard Stern.  He is a force, taking over Stephen's show, which rarely happens.  I was happy to get back to my book when it was over.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...