Saturday, May 18, 2019

A Sun Rising, Then Fog

The Boys

6:06

6:21

Weekend Kayak Friends Are Back
Well, I finally slept in, till 6:00, and came down just as the living room was filling with light.  Now, at 6:40, the fog suddenly has appeared, a result of a 41º morning.  The lake is calm, inviting me to paddle when I finish writing this blog.  I was out for close to 90 minutes on the lake, kayaking over to Warner Bay, then back to Sandy Bottom and home.  On my way home, I ran into Tina and Jim, both morning kayakers like me.  They just opened their cottage and are excited to be back on the lake.  

Kayaking Towards Long Point

A Beautiful Kayak Morning

A Wood Duck Couple
Yesterday morning was a bit different although I did get in a good long paddle.  I skipped yoga because I was going to breakfast with some old basketball buddies from Cleveland.  We get together maybe twice a year, meeting either in Erie, an easy drive for all of us or here at the lake, usually in the summer.  My buddy Stan picked me up at 9:00 and we met the others, John, Gace, and Tom at Bob Evans, Bobby Knight's favorite spot according to John Feinstein in his book on Knight.  The four of them all lived within a block of each other growing up in East Cleveland.  I  got to know them playing basketball in the summers of my college years.  Later, we played together on teams in Cleveland leagues before I left for Hawaii in 1967 and coached against them in the '80s when I was teaching at Reserve.  We have a great time reminiscing about our high school and college days playing ball, our kids and grandkids and this time, shockingly, we talked about the guy on Jeopardy who has won a million and a half dollars so far.  All five of us have been watching him and are in awe of his far-ranging knowledge.  We had the breakfast specials, sat around talking until 11:30, vowed to get together this summer, then headed home.  

When I returned home, we walked over to our neighbor Pat's house to help her get the roof carrier off her car as she has arrived for the summer from Houston.  Slowly, the snowbirds are returning.  I was tired from my tough morning of breakfast with the boys so I read some and took a nap.  Evie had been busy in her garden and its starting to look very nice although it would help to have some color as most of the plants are still just green and we have yet to put the dahlias in because of fear of frost.  After my nap, I got some things done, getting ready for summer.

Around 5:00 we both showered and at 6:15, our neighbor Pat walked over and we drove off to Bemus Point for a fish fry at the Seezurh House.  It was crowded but Evie and Pat found a table with a guy who was waiting to pay his check.  So I sat at the bar while they talked with him as he waited to pay.  Finally, he paid and left and I joined them  Evie and I had the fish fry, surprisingly mediocre, overdone and all breading.  Usually, the fish fry is great.  Perhaps they have a new chef but it was definitely disappointing.  It was nice, however, to see the restaurant, as well as Bemus Point, crowded, a sure sign of summer.  It was fun to catch up on Pat's family, her winter in Houston.  We were home after 8:00, watched Colbert and Rake, some NBA, then went to bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...