Tuesday, May 28, 2019

A Cloudy But Wet Morning

6:12
It's 6:45 and I am sitting out on our front porch, listening to Morning Joe on my Beats Headphone, thanks to my grandson, Nick.  It finally rained last night; I woke at 4:00 to the sound of raindrops on our roof.  We probably got a half inch, just perfect for Evie's garden.  Right now, its just overcast so I will get in a paddle.  It's just after 8:00 and I just returned from a brief paddle in the rain.  I started out fine but then the drizzle picked up and I was soaked when I returned home.  At the moment, I am finishing the blog on our front porch as it continues to pour, peppering the lake's surface, pounding on our gutters.  I love it.  

Kayak Morning
Yesterday was a spectacular Memorial Day, lots of sun, blue skies, and puffy white clouds.  I was out on the lake by 7:00 for a good hour.  When I returned, I finished the blog but Evie kept interrupting me with one more thing she wanted me to do that day, as the honey-do list keeps growing.  I can't complain really because she outworks me most days and yesterday was one of them.  She wanted to get the dahlias in so that was going to take a good part of the morning.  While I got out all of our summer stuff, mixed some compost with topsoil, and turned over a couple of beds, Evie arranged the pots around the beds, then dug holes, and planted probably 25 plants, marking them so she knew their name.  She wanted to get it done by lunch so that we could have lunch on the boat.

So, about 12:30, we climbed into the boat for the first time and cruised on a windy afternoon, a choppy lake, over to Bemus Point and back.  We had a simple lunch of pita chips with hummus with pieces of tomato mixed in to give it a pop.  We were out over an hour, just taking our time.  We relaxed early afternoon, as I read and took a nap and Evie watched some TV.  Mid-afternoon, Evie fired up the lawn mower and cut our lawn because she knew rain was predicted overnight, in fact, for the next two days. So by 5:00, all the lawn furniture was out, the garage cleaned, the dahlias planted, and the lawn cut.  It was time to reward ourselves and fortunately, Linda and Ron had invited us over for dinner.  

We arrived at their house, set among 'the lawn's wide sweep' about 5:45.  And I don't exaggerate as they have close to an acre of property, now green with grass.  We walked down to the lake and sat in chairs with our beer to enjoy the sun and lake before returning to have a second beer on their side porch.  Dinner was something out of the best rib joint in Kansas City as Linda outdid herself.  Four racks of ribs, homemade barbecue sauce, her special potato salad, homemade beans, salad, and bread.  By the time we finished, I could hardly get up from the table I was so full.  We ended the evening with a strawberry parfait, watching videos of musical groups from the Vietnam area because Ron is teaching a course on music and Vietnam at the Chautauqua Institution this summer.  It should be good. We didn't get home till 10:15 and both of us were ready for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...