Thursday, May 9, 2019

Cultivating Our Garden...Avoiding Speculation


6:40

7:27
I was up at 5:30 to a warm 55º and partly cloudy sky.  I just had to interrupt my writing as I noticed a great blue heron prancing along our wall in the front yard, occasionally dipping his head into the water and coming up with a fish in his mouth, an exciting way to start my morning.  I must have taken at least 15 photographs.  I was on the water by 6:45 but had little luck birding although it was still amazing to be out kayaking just as the sun popped up above the cloud bank.  I paddled as far as Wells Bay and back, about a half hour jaunt.  It's 9:00 and I just returned from breakfast with the guys, a good way to start the morning.  Now on to yoga class. 

Kayak Morning
Yesterday was the quintessential spring day, lots of sunshine, moderate temperatures, a light breeze, the kind of day that makes you want to spend it outside and Evie did.  I got in an hour kayak early, on a calm, windless lake so I was happy.  For some reason, yoga was canceled so to Evie's delight, she had me for both the morning and afternoon.  By 9:30, we had our coffee, finished the blog and were outside working in Evie's garden and the beds surrounding our house.  Lots of weeds this time of the year which makes it easy but time-consuming when pulling them out.  We worked mostly on the south side of our house, pulling weeds, edging, and moving plants, a couple of hostas, a hydrangea bush.  It takes much longer than one would think but the results are rewarding; nothing like a well tended garden and yard.  Once we were done with the side, I went through two bags of mulch, hoping it will discourage the weeds once it gets warmer.

Fishing

Caught One
 Around 12:30, I took a break, leaving Evie to continue with her gardening.  Lunch was another sandwich, this time a salami sandwich and as a side, I opened a jar of Kim Chee, two weeks beyond its expiration date.  Both were tasty and different but I watched the same old series, BOSCH, as he's always in trouble with the department.  I tried to take a nap and did some reading only to discover that I had read the book probably six months ago. So I started a new book on my Kindle, THE GOOD DETECTIVE and I like it.  Around 3:00, I went back out to help Evie.  She really didn't need much so I decided to work on our road and drove to Tri James and picked up some pea gravel and began the almost yearly task of spreading it on our road, devasted by our plow guy during the winter snows.  It will take six or seven trips for me to cover most of the bare areas as well as get dirt and perhaps more milling.  I do it four buckets at a time, cheap but time consuming.

Late Afternoon Colors
Around 4:30, we both fired up the lawnmowers once again and I cut our neighbor's yard and Evie cut ours to finish off her day of work outside.  We finally came in around 5:30, both exhausted and sore from our work.  I sat down with a glass of wine but Evie put together the marinade for our salmon and made a salad.  We ate around 6:45, salmon, salad, spinach and rice and it was a great dinner.  Evie loved it, devoured the salmon and salad only to realize it was the first thing she had eaten all day, not very healthy living.  We ended the night as usual with Colbert, Rake, and some basketball.  It was a very good day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...