Friday, May 24, 2019

A Morning Of Blue

6:02

8:28

8:29
It's 6:30, a morning of a blue lake and sky and 51º.  The sun rose just before 6:00, so I was up in time to watch it march up over Long Point.  A few fishing boats have passed by, as the martins and barn swallow swoop and sweep, like aerial acrobats.  It's a good beginning to a Memorial Day Weekend.  It's 6:45 and the lake is beginning to ruffle as the wind picks up so I better get out there sooner rather than later.  It's 8:30 and I am back from a paddle, having talked with my neighbors at the end of their dock before crossing the lake to the Bathhouse as the wind picked up.  It was calm along Bemus Bay but when I headed home.  I had to fight the waves, some which splashed up over the side into the cockpit. Fun, sort of.  

Kayak Morning

Paddling Along Long Point

Morning Bible Study On Tip Of Long Point
Yesterday began with a short paddle because I had breakfast at 8:00 with the guys.  For the first time in quite a while, all seven of us were in attendance.  It's too many as talk usually ended up at each end of the table.  Charlie brought books to give out and Jack brought three jars of homegrown asparagus.  I took one of each home.  When I returned home, Evie was out on the dock, waiting for Chris to bring our boat to our dock.  He arrived just after 9:00 and I helped tie it up.  He needed a ride back to his truck so Evie drove him because I had yoga at 10:00.  

Spotted Sandpiper
Yoga class is fun as Danielle keeps introducing something different, learned from having just spent a month at a yoga retreat in Northeastern India, near Nepal.  So far, it seems as if she has learned new breathing techniques, ways to begin our asanas.  After class,  I did a quick run through Aldi's, picking up some salmon, strawberries, and salad for the weekend.  Meanwhile, Evie was busy working on our side yard, spreading mulch, giving it that finished look.  Once again, I had to make my own lunch, toasting some onion rye bread and making a salami and tomato sandwich to go with vegetable soup.

The rest of the afternoon was typical for us, napping and reading and working outside.  I continued my work on the brick path, overgrown with moss and weeds and grass. The neverending garden and yard is starting to look manicured, ready for the big day when we plant approximately 20 to 30 dahlias, our favorite flower, although they are almost too much, so extravagant and lush.  

It had warmed up enough although so that we could sit out on the front porch and enjoy a glass of beer or whine although the wind gusts were alarming, shaking the trees, even the house.  As we were sitting on the porch, enjoying the late afternoon, I saw a kayak paddle floating by and realized it was mine.  The wind must have picked it up and thrown it in the water.  I put on my swim trunks and waded out to get it in freezingly cold water.  I thought I might swim this weekend but maybe not after my brief dip.

Dinner was quick and fairly easy, warm up the rotisserie chicken and add the Marsala Simmer Sauce from Trader Joe's, roast the asparagus from Jack, and make a salad.  I cannot eat an Indian meal without lots of plain yogurt, giving the sauce a rich touch.  We watched Jeopardy with great anxiety as big winner James Holzhauer squeaked by with a win.  If he had missed the final question, he would have lost.  We also watched Colbert interview Presidential candidate Kamala Harris.  We like her quite a bit but she was a bit over the top with Stephen, too passionate about her causes, like Bernie I guess.  I like a more measured response.  We ended the night returning to HBO's Barry, watching the final episode from Season One to catch up with what was happening, then starting Season Two.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...