Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Almost Snowed



7:10

7:44

7:55
7:55
8:00
I was up at 6:00, literally on the dot.  Utter darkness till around 7::00 when streaks of orange and pink began to appear over Tom's Point, gradually encompassing a good part of the lake until the sun rose around 8:00.  I was out on the lake by 8:00 as the sun, it's rising over the lake was too inviting to ignore despite the 36º weather.
Kayak Morning
I just put on my stocking hat, gloves, and an extra fleece and I was off, hoping to photograph some birds but the sun soon hid behind the clouds, making it difficult to pick out any birds along the shoreline.  I did pass a raft of probably 70 coots, some mallards and one cormorant sitting atop of buoy. 

Coots

A Perched Cormorant
Yesterday morning was busy for me, as I wanted to get things done this week early, so I don't have to worry about them before we leave on our trip.  So I drove to Falconer, just beyond Jamestown, to Acme Appliance where we bought our washer and dryer last April.  The manager said to put off buying our warranty until November and he would not start it until the new year, adding close to six months on our warranty.  So that's what I got out of the way before stopping at Sam's to pick up a rotisserie chicken and a few other things, then on to Wegman's to make sure we have enough for dinner the next few nights. 

I was home by noon and expected to see Evie out cutting the lawn because our yard was once again covered with leaves but she decided to wait till later in the day, giving the lawn a chance to dry out.  I was excited because I had read about a special soup on the NewYork Times.  So I got out my homemade vegetable soup, heated it up, toasted some of my homemade bread, placed it in the bottom of a soup bowl, added soup, let it sit for three minutes, then added olive oil and parmesan cheese.  It was quite tasty, like eating a vegetable stew and quite filling.  And I watched another NARCOS, only have a few left.

Veggie Soup With Bread, Olive Oil, and Parmesan Cheese
I then read some, napped, under a new, soft turquoise fleece I picked up at Sam's to my wife's dismay.  She calls me grandpa every time I wrapped myself in it.  Well, I am a grandpa.  I woke to the sound of Evie's lawn mower and I felt like helping so I fired up the other mower and between us, we mulched the leaves in a light rain as we waited too long for the yard to dry.  And by the time we had finished, the lawn was already beginning to be covered with more leaves.

Around 5:00, we got out a bottle of sauvignon blanc, poured ourselves a glass and Evie started putting together our dinner, the rotisserie chicken, with mashed potatoes, gravy, salad and a scrumptious cheesy cauliflower.  It was a Sunday dinner on Monday, roasted chicken, mashed potatoes, and vegetables.  I loved it.  We watched some of a Lady Gaga documentary but soon got bored and watched a couple of more episdoes of Master Of None, funny and relevant.  We ended the night watching CNN and MSNBC talk about the Russian connection with Trump, then switched to FOX and watched them talk about the Russian connection to Hilary and Obama.  Perfect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...