Sunday, October 22, 2017

Sunny Sunday Morning

7:24

7:40

7:47
It's 8:00 and both Evie and I are up drinking coffee, listening to CNN, as the sun shines brightly, highlighting, to Evie's dismay, the streaked front windows.  She has washed them with her magic cloths at least five times to no avail.  Nevertheless, it looks like another stellar day, lots of sunshine, the highs in the 60's if not warmer.  It's 8:40 and both Evie and I are going our for a paddle, another great morning on the lake.

Saturday was typical for us, a few chores, lots of fine weather and a great night out for dinner.  It started with a long paddle, as I was able to follow a raft of coots for quite awhile.  When I got home, Evie was up drinking her coffee, and we finished off the blog and published it, with mucho photographs of the sunrise and waterfowl.  For some reason, I woke with two thoughts in mind, make kuru fasulye (a white bean stew from Turkey) and put together the ingredients for my artisan bread.  So I got out the pressure cooker, added water and a pound of white beans turned it on for 25 minutes and let it cool off slowly until I was ready for the fasulye.  While they cooked, I put together the bread, with flour, oats, flax seed, quinoa, salt, and sugar.  I let it rise for up to 24 hours so I will bake it this morning.  After I was done with the bread, I sauteed some onions, added red pepper and tomato paste, simmered it for 20 minutes, added the beans and water, salted it to taste and it was ready for lunch this week.  It may sound bland but it's not; in fact, in Istanbul, they have restaurants that are strictly fasulye places.

Around noon, we got together the trash and I went through the garage once more, gathering various detritus that I have not used nor needed for years and took them to the Transfer Station.  It was packed when I got there, empty when I left so my timing was poor.  Around 1:00, I had lunch of moussaka, watched some Narcos and football.  Meanwhile, Evie had found things to do in the house and was happy and busy.  It's nice not having things you have to do but things you want to do at your own speed.  After my nap, inspired by Evie, I went out and cleaned up the messy back of my garage, swept it out, getting it ready so I can put my car in it during the winter.

We got ready for our night out around 5:00 and Ron and Linda came over at 5:30.  I then drove to our restaurant, Ribs and Bones, twenty-two miles away in Pennsylvania.  We knew it would be a long drive but it was still daylight and beautiful, as the trees are really starting to turn.  When we got to the restaurant, the parking lot was packed and we worried about getting a seat.  But we had reservations and a table was ready for us in the bar.

A Selfie At Ribs And Bones Bar
This is our first time there so we did not know what to expect.  Fortunately, we loved it, a great menu, a busy bar, with a mix of locals and outsiders like us, with a cabin like ambiance.  Ron and I ordered their ribs, about as good of ribs as we have had and Evie had an amazing pork chop, marinated in apple cider and thyme, with cinnamon poached apples.  We were a happy quartet, and cannot wait to come back in the winter.  We highly recommend it if you don't mind the drive.

We were home around 9:00, in time to watch Real Time With Bill Maher and some of the baseball and football games.  Evie had frozen some of her peach upside down cake, so she warmed it up, put some cream on it and we had a great dessert.  I am almost finished with EMPIRE FALLS, by Richard Russo and am ready to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...