Thursday, October 5, 2017

A Morning Of Vast Grayness


7:47

7:48

8:18
9:01
After a couple of weeks of amazing weather, it was strange to wake up to an overcast morning, no fog, just a heavy grayness.  It's warm for October, already 62º, and although it's cloudy, little if any rain is expected.  We did get a much needed inch of rain last night late and will probably get more over the weekend.  It's been a dry month or two.

Yesterday began with kayaking and lots of photographs of waterfowl.  I came home energized, ready to get some things done.  Evie, too, until her sister called from Texas and they were on the phone for a good hour.  Sisters.  When I look back at the day, my want to was greater than what I accomplished.  I put away the sump pump, all the hoses,  changed the oil on the lawn mower,  cleaned up the garage and the dryer vent which is about it for the morning.  After the phone call,  Evie fired up the lawn mower and did what she loves, what she does best, cut the lawn.  The rain which did not fall was scheduled for the afternoon, so she was done with it by noon.

Our afternoon was typical as the sun did peek out from the clouds at 1:00 and Evie was able to enjoy an hour or two of sun time.  I had another leftover enchilada for lunch, read some, watched an episode of The Five and took a brief nap.  When I got up, Evie was still on the dock so I texted her that I was going biking.  Love texting...you don't have to talk!  I drove to Mayville, parked my bike across from the park, jumped on my bike and it started to drizzle.  According to the weatherman, it was not supposed to rain for another hour and a half.  Wrong.  I said what the heck and biked Webb's trail through the woods to Rt 430, then turned around because of the rain and returned to the car. It stopped when I got back, so I biked on the newly asphalted bike/hiking path to the Snowmobile kiosk across Rt 430 in Mayville and back, another half hour.  I stopped at Evergreen Outfitters, a kayak and backpacking store, marveling at all the accessories for kayaking when all we really need is a kayak, a paddle, and life jacket.

When I got home, I did a half hour of yoga as Evie showered and got gussied up as we were going to one of our favorite restaurants, Rocco's in Fredonia, with our next door neighbors,  Joyce and Bill.  We left just before 6:00 and it was actually a pleasant drive as the sun was out and the drive is through lots of farmlands.  When we got to Rocco's, the parking lot was practically full but they had one table left for four people.  We settled into the dining room, a refurbished dining room and living room of a 1950's bungalow.

Loving Italian At Rocco's
In fact, the restaurant is located in a blue collar neighborhood of bungalows, the kind both Evie and I grew up in, the only business around.  Evie and Joyce got their usual, a mountain of eggplant parmesan and Bill and I got chicken parmesan.  The dishes were more than enough so all four of us took home doggie bags, perhaps enough for tonight's dinner.  We drove home in a light rain, getting there around 9:00, a good way to end the day.  All of us really like this restaurant, unpretentious, old fashion, casual, with good food.

We watched some TV, Vice News and a few other bits and pieces of news shows before going up to bed.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...