Monday, October 30, 2017

A Wild, Windy Morning



8:02

8:05
It's 7:00, I have been up for an hour listening to the wind whip the trees, at times sounding like a freight train.  It's still pitch black outside, only a few house lights stand out in the dark morning sky.  I am not going kayaking this morning, for sure!

Yesterday I beat the wind and rain by kayaking early, my only activity of the day.  We both snuggled down in our living room, like Saturday, and enjoyed the gray, wet windy day.  We played with the idea of going out to breakfast to Red's Pancake House, on the Sherman/Clymer road, about a twenty-five-minute drive but we were too comfortable in our house or just lazy.

Late morning I got tired of sitting around, listening to the Sunday morning news programs repeat the same thing over and over again, so I decided to make a vegetable soup for my lunches this week.  We had just enough veggies, both carrots and celery to start the base which I sauteed for a good half hour before adding the chicken stock, tomatoes, garlic, black and white beans, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper.  I let it simmer for a good hour, tasting occasionally to make sure it had a pleasant taste.  It's always difficult for me to get the flavor of a soup just right.  I think simmering it for a good amount of times allows all the veggies and beans to release some of the flavor in an otherwise often bland soup. Around 3:00, we both ran outside with our cameras because we noticed two bald eagles swooping down in front of our house, hoping to catch a prey.  They circled around Woodlawn for a view minutes before flying off. 

Bald Eagle Soaring

Swooping
Neither one of us did much the rest of the afternoon.  I watched some football, read, napped and Evie listened to music, played Words With Friends, and watched an old movie mid-afternoon.  We decided on skipping our typical Sunday breakfast and eat an early dinner.  So around 4:00, Evie breaded a couple of pork chops, fried up some leftover baked potatoes with onions, roasted a cauliflower, and made a salad.  We ate at 5:30, early for us but we were both hungry since we had not eaten since breakfast.  The chops were the kind we love, breaded, fried, then baked and with applesauce, we were happy.

We watched the latest This Is Us, some news, a few minutes of football and a new program, at least for us, a British talk show with Graham Norton.  I have watched it a couple of times over the past year but last week, I watched him interview Hilary and it was really good.  And last night he had Jane Fonda, Nicole Kidman, Brian Cranston, Colin Farrell and Matt Lucas.  It's been a regular in Great Britain since 2007.  It's on the BBC channel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...